Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Pianist's Pronunciation guide - how not to sound slow in the head  (Read 5180 times)

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Just fell upon the site, and I have to say I could've used this a long time ago.  I now realize that 99% of what I have been pronouncing has been wrong.
https://www.math.nyu.edu/~wendlc/pronunciation/thebiglist.html
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Spatula

SWEET! Now I can finally say Prokofiev's name without sounding like an idiot.

I used to always pronounce Grieg's name as the normal "Greg".

And Rachmaninoffs name as "RACK-man-nin-off", but it's really "ROCK-mon-nin-off" I think...or ROCK -man- nin- off

Offline glBelgedin

• PS Silver Member
LoL, I couldn't pronounce Prokofiev either. I did manage to get Rachmaninov, and Grieg, though. Of course, aside from my parents I don't know anyone that likes classical music (in real life that is,) so I've never had to worry about pronunciations anyway.

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
ha that's the coolest! now i can happily say some composer's name and know i'm pronouncing it right and not sound like a moron!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Why can't I find Grieg on that list? Also, I learned Prokofiev's name through Bill Joel's We Didn't start the Fire. :p

Spatula

I cant find Rachmaninoff, though my piano teacher told me his name correctly

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
oh god!! I feel like such a moron!!
I didnt know Jorge Bolet was pronounced "George Bowl-let".  Damn!!! I have been saying "hor-aa Bowl - eh" for the longest time.  Oh, the embarrassment!

Why cant I find Jeno Jando on that site?  I really want to know how to say his name.
donjuan

Spatula

Interestingly, one of the most mispronounced names is Chopin.

'CHOP-IN'....hahahahahha that's the funniest I've heard

I say "Show-pan"

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member

I say "Show-pan"
haha reminds me of that moment in "It Takes Two" with the Olsen twins..

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
I didnt know Jorge Bolet was pronounced "George Bowl-let".  d**n!!! I have been saying "hor-aa Bowl - eh" for the longest time. 
Join the club  :D.
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Spatula

Re: Pianist's Pronunciation guide - how not to sound slow in the head
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 04:28:18 PM

I say "Show-pan"
haha reminds me of that moment in "It Takes Two" with the Olsen twins..

oh yeah, where she start to bang the keys... 

Now she's banging her head with a pot addiction...that's what I heard. 

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 01:42:43 PM

I say "Show-pan"
That is still a tricky one, and myriads of musicians have struggled with it. Using English phonetics, the closest pronunciation is "shoppan", with slight emphasis on the "pp" as in the English word "shop". The "in" is not pronounced as in the French word "vin". The accepted Polish (mis)pronounciation is "an" as in the English "pan".

Offline xvimbi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 01:56:31 PM
I didnt know Jorge Bolet was pronounced "George Bowl-let".  ***!!! I have been saying "hor-aa Bowl - eh" for the longest time.  Oh, the embarrassment!
Don't be. When I saw this at this website a long time ago, my respect for this website dropped rapidly. "George Bowl-let" is the English, butchered version of a Spanish name, although he did indeed prefer the pronunciation "George" while he was in the US. "Jorge" should be pronounced "Horche", with the "ch" being that guttural hissing sound (as in German "hoch"); not "k"! Also, it's not "Bow". That is again the incapability of English speakers to say a clear "o" as in the French "Beau", which English speaking people always pronounce "Bow" (as in "bow and arrow", not in "bowing after a performance"; arrrgh! English is so screwed up!)

Why cant I find Jeno Jando on that site?  I really want to know how to say his name.
Jeno Jandó is Hungarian. It should sound something like "Yeno Yundow"

Disclaimer: there are always exceptions, particularly with names. I could be completely wrong!

Spatula

Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 02:24:48 PM
I never knew how to pronounce Bizet's name...ahem Bi-set...but no its Bee-Say
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert