Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Conservatories, Academies and other schools of high level  (Read 1580 times)

Offline evitaevita

• PS Silver Member
Hello,

As I am growing up, I am thinking more and more about entering a conservatory or academy in order to continue my studies on piano. I know that this is a decision of great importance and must be taken after a lot of consideration, so I decided to learn more.
First of all, I've already found out that most academies require ABRSM Grade 8 Diploma or Trinity/Guidhall Grade 8. What are the other entrance standards? Also, what do you know about auditions?
So, I would like you to give me further information and make some recommendations for such conservatories or academies preferably in England (other European countries are accepted). Also, what's your opinion? I would appreciate if you could share your experiences.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Evitaevita.
"I'm a free person; I feel terribly free. They could put me in chains and I still would be free because my thoughts would be mine - and that's all I want to have."
Arthur Rubinstein

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Re: Conservatories, Academies and other schools of high level
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:08:50 PM
Okay so this is how it is...

For conservatives, you kinda have to audition.  And usually for auditions you'll need:

- a Bach p&f from WTC
- a classical sonata (depends on the school if they want it complete or just the first movement.
- a romantic work
- a 20th century work
- maybe an etude

And I've never heard of any academies, sorry.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline pianokai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 08:32:24 PM
I went to Chetham's School of Music so I'll give you the process they had there when i auditioned 8 years ago.

1st audition, head of piano will listen to you play, and they look for POTENTIAL. NOT qualifications. They test you for perfect pitch (I failed miserably lol) and tested for ability to play by ear (I failed again) I only surpassed all that in my musical playing. I had grade 7 and NEVER took grade 8 as from then on they taught you at concert and beyond standard. Grades are just a buffer, NEVER an indicator of your acutal musical playing. Grade 8, is just the begining.

2nd audition, after getting a letter of acceptance to 2nd aution which is like getting to bootcamp on Xfactor, you then play your best piece, you answer some questions about how you feel about music, NOTHING about your qualifications.

After that you get a letter if they accept you, if so congrats you succeeded in where HUNDREDS tried and failed. Its the classical Xfactor but its NEVER about your grades, but your musical ability and POTENTIAL.

Hope this helps, please pm me if you need help :)

Offline evitaevita

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:27:31 PM
Thanks for your replies
"I'm a free person; I feel terribly free. They could put me in chains and I still would be free because my thoughts would be mine - and that's all I want to have."
Arthur Rubinstein
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert