Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Pianostreet calculus group  (Read 8836 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pianostreet calculus group
Reply #150 on: March 07, 2013, 03:25:07 AM
Lol i always start off ahead of the class but by the end im like sitting alone in the stupid seat which changes based on where i sit. ???

I totally feel you. :( :(   :(
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #151 on: March 07, 2013, 03:44:39 AM
I totally feel you. :( :(   :(

It get's worse if you're the dumb person in the major. Sure I know math, but in the upper level classes I took my classmates would stare at me with their jaw dropped.  My senior spring my professor (in a 5 person class) gave me a passing grade out of sheer pity so I could graduate.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #152 on: March 07, 2013, 04:13:10 AM
Awe...well...it sucks to be the person without a mojor, even more so.  :'(

*Major, mojo...same thing
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline chadbrochill17

• PS Silver Member
Reply #153 on: March 07, 2013, 04:39:09 PM
It get's worse if you're the dumb person in the major. Sure I know math, but in the upper level classes I took my classmates would stare at me with their jaw dropped.  My senior spring my professor (in a 5 person class) gave me a passing grade out of sheer pity so I could graduate.

I am definitely one of the dumber students in my major. Physics kids are freaks and make getting into graduate school next to impossible. Really hoping on getting in though because I can't really do much with Astrophysics besides pursuing my PHD.

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #154 on: March 07, 2013, 05:15:10 PM
I burst out laughing, sorry :p. In a sense this was exactly what I meant. On the other hand, "astrophysics" is one of those things that in an interview in ANY technical field they go "holy sh*t" (In practical fields, not research). Regardless of how you did, "this guy is dedicated and more intelligent than everyone else I've met." I'm planning on getting a masters in quantitative finance, and your bachelors will take the job over me lol.

FYI my dad was a physics major and works as a doctor. If you are actually looking to go into astrophysics as the profession instead of an interest I wish you luck, but saying you can't do anything with it is definitely not true. My career knowledge is in finance, and when applying to jobs the education requirements they say are typically "degree from a top tier institution in Mathematics, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Physics ". If you take the time to learn Comp Sci, that + physics = automatic job = no job for me.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #155 on: March 07, 2013, 08:23:43 PM
Awe...well...it sucks to be the person without a mojor, even more so.  :'(

*Major, mojo...same thing

There's always political science.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #156 on: March 07, 2013, 10:01:41 PM
There's always political science.
Same thing.

I'd suggest Art History.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #157 on: March 07, 2013, 10:25:19 PM
No and not even close. I used to study Audio production....lol
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
Reply #158 on: March 17, 2013, 12:07:21 PM
Well now.  f(x) = (sin x)^2 - sin x, I take it?  Then f'(x) = 2 sin x cos x - cos x = sin 2x - cos x = (2 sin x - 1) cos x.   f '' (x ) = 2 cos2x + sin x = 2cos (x + x) + sin x = 2((cos x)^2  - (sin x)^2) + sin x = 2( 1 - 2(sin x)^2) + sin x = 2 - 4(sin x)^2 + sin x ( ooo not nice -- quadratic doesn't factor over integers) So f''(x) = 0 when sin x is solution to 4y^2 -y - 2 = 0, so when    sin x = (1 + 33^.5)/2, so when x is a little less than 60 degrees or more than 120.  f is convex from 0 to that, then concave, then convex again.  Curve symmetric about the line x = pi/2. Derivative zero at sin x = 1/2 or cos x = 0 so zero at 30, 90, and 150 degrees.  The curve looks something like this I think
                                   y axis
                                   |                                                     o
                                   |                                                   o
                                   |                                                 o
                                   o_____________o______________  o___  x axis
                                   | o              o        o                o
                                   |    o       u                 o        o
                                   |        o                          o
                                   |

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
Reply #159 on: March 17, 2013, 11:11:47 PM
OK, I admit it;  I need to put some finishing touches on the above.  The roots of the equation 4x^2 - x - 2 would be (1 +or -33^.5)/8.  So let's compute a very exact square root of 33:

33. 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |__ 5. 744562   add 1  and divide by 8
              800                        .84307         -.59307  the sin of 215, approx.
     107    749                  8| 6.744562  8| -4.744562
    1144     4576               so the function is convex only from 120 to 215 degrees.  Then it
                 52400            becomes concave again.  The maximum value is 2 and the minimum
    11484     45936            value is =1/4.
    114885     574425
    1148906     6893436
    11489122     22978244

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #160 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:15 PM
I got a 1 on my AP :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :-[

But that's fine cause I'm not taking math in college.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert