Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Good Songs for little boys  (Read 2059 times)

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Good Songs for little boys
on: October 11, 2012, 11:31:35 PM
Can anyone share some pieces of music that have been a hit with them for boys around 9?
thanks
ps - Beginner - just starting reading onstaff -

Offline evitaevita

• PS Silver Member
Re: Good Songs for little boys
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 02:15:15 PM
Keyofc,

What kind of music do you mean exactly? Today's hits, such as pop songs and etc.?
I'm not a teacher, but I suggest that you should first ask what songs he likes (if you already know just ignore my first suggestion!) and, then, find them and write their melody (just by listening to them or finding the music scores in sites with such sheet music).
Maybe, if you were more specific, I could give you more detailed suggestions.

I hope I've been of some help!
Evitaevita
"I'm a free person; I feel terribly free. They could put me in chains and I still would be free because my thoughts would be mine - and that's all I want to have."
Arthur Rubinstein

Offline timbo178

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:22:01 AM
One that I teach fairly often (by showing them, _not_ using sheet music - it would be too difficult for a beginner to read) is a simplified version of Mission Impossible in Gm. The piece sounds okay with single notes for the left hand ostinato, however if the student's left hand can stretch an octave comfortably, then they'll enjoy the energy created by the rhythm. The ostinato is a pattern easily learnt, and the patten is repeated when the piece moves to Cm. As for the right hand melody, they need to know the starting chord (Gm, 2nd inversion) and arpeggiate it descending. The bottom note of the chord then descends by semitones. Same pattern when the piece moves to Cm.

Another more difficult one is the Pink Panther - again it is somewhat simplified, and I teach it without reference to the sheet music. This is probably after a student has been learning for a while and is more familiar with the keyboard geography, hand coordination, and rhythm.

A couple of Beatles songs that I often teach are Let it Be, and ... damnit, can't remember the name. Find it later. Also, one of my students recently did an arrangement by Elissa Milne of 'I'm a believer'. Grade 2 level though, so maybe a bit more advanced than what you're looking for.

Offline timbo178

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:51:18 AM
'In my life' was the other Beatles song. 'Yesterday' is popular too.

For older boys who are a bit more advanced or faster learners, I often teach them the theme from Rocky. They love the energy.

Offline teran

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 02:38:21 PM
Video game music and the James Bond theme.

That should tide you over with boys until about the age of their death.

Offline timbo178

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:47:19 PM
Ah yeah, James Bond is a good one. One of my students wanted to do the theme from Halo, which was pretty hard, but we got there. It's in Dorian mode, so we got to cover a bit of scale theory as well.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 11:57:32 PM
I wonder if any little girls like good songs for little boys?   ;)

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 06:53:40 PM
Thanks for all the song suggestions - keep them coming if you think of more.
James Bond is great.
Keypeg - probably some girls do like them -:)
But I've been teaching for a long time - and have noticed a definite difference in the tastes of girls and boys.
It's great to share our lists with each other.
Most girls don't want to be superman - buy most boys do.  Any song to help kids connect with their heroes are great!
Jack Nicholson really hated singing "I Feel Pretty" in one of those movies :)

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert