Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: warming up before a performance?  (Read 7384 times)

Offline jon

• PS Silver Member
warming up before a performance?
on: October 18, 2004, 12:07:47 AM
Hey, in about a week I am going to enter a piano competition and i need to know what are the best ways to warm up right before a performance.I am playing the wilde jagd and I was wondering what are some tips, maybe even specificly for this piece.Lets say i have about 45 minutes to warm up,should I practice the whole piece slowly,hands separatley,practice the hardest passages?Right before I perform would it be wise to play the whole piece up to speed, or slowly but accurately?Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Re: warming up before a performance?
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 11:36:13 AM
personally, i don't like to practice my pieces the day i'm performing them, maybe not even the day before, cos anything i do just before that is a mistake, i'll do it in the performance, eg. i was practicing before an exam at school, and my friend walked in on my playing and i messed that little bit up, and then in the performance i messed it up too.

some people may disagree with me, but i like to warm up with my good ol scales and hanon, just so my hands are moving and won't be stiff at all. if you're going to play any pieces at all, then choose ones you won't be playing for the performance, studies would be good i guess.

but if you're anything like me i'd recommend not practicing your pieces beforehand
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 10:14:52 PM
I found that after working out with weights, when I went to practice, I was just about all warmed up! Since blood flowed throughout the whole body, including fingers, within 5 minutes I was at peak performance. Personally, I feel most comfortable on day of performance practicing the tough spots as I do any practice day. I may not play up to tempo though.

Nick

Offline krittyot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 12:20:28 AM
Artur Rubinstein practiced Chopin's op.10, no.2 shortly before giving a recital.
To be is to do (I. Kant)
To do is to be (A. Sartre)
Do-be-do-be-do (F. Sinatra)
Yabba-Dabba-Doo! (F. Flinstone)

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 11:13:24 AM
I read somewhere that one should play chopin etude 10/4 6 times for warm-up every day. I don't remember who said, but it was in the cover of Perrahia Chop/et CD

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 10:43:51 PM
I think playing the whole thing up to speed JUST BEFORE the actual performance isnt a good idea because you may be emotionally and physically exhausted (especially with a piece like Liszt Transcendental Etude No.8!!!).  Relax, have a hot drink (if available), warmup with pieces like Chopin's minute waltz or Liszt's prelude to the transcendental etudes.  Dont play RIGHT before the performance.. relax for a halfhour or so.
donjuan

Offline Ludwig Van Rachabji

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 11:42:44 PM
I think playing the whole thing up to speed JUST BEFORE the actual performance isnt a good idea because you may be emotionally and physically exhausted (especially with a piece like Liszt Transcendental Etude No.8!!!).  Relax, have a hot drink (if available), warmup with pieces like Chopin's minute waltz or Liszt's prelude to the transcendental etudes.  Dont play RIGHT before the performance.. relax for a halfhour or so.
donjuan

I agree.
Music... can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable. Leonard Bernstein

Offline molto_vivace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 02:10:10 AM
I'm always playing the first two transcendental etudes! starting with a moderate tempo, stepping up to the original speed. it works perfectly for the liszt etudes.

but what about playing one of your favourite pieces (to get this feeling, being one with the piano)?

Offline jon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 02:24:46 AM
Thanks for your replys.Yes, donjuan now now I see it probably would not be the smartest thing to play the wilde jagd right before I perform,I just got done playing it around 15 minutes ago and i'm still exhausted from playing it.Anymore tips such as playing some of my favorite pieces or anything else would be appreciated.

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 06:10:20 PM
God says you shouldn't be tired. you should be able to play this time after time. you must be doing something wrong and therefore are completely void of knowledge.

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 11:57:52 AM
i prefer chopin etudes op.10 for warming up - as many as i have time - played at about 2/3-3/4 tempo (not in tempo), and then playing the works at half-tempo. this helps me.

lipatti used to play his whole recital at half-tempo before any recital he had.

Offline shasta

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 12:43:34 PM
Morning Before: I play through everything once as if it were the real competition/concert

Evening Before: I go out to dinner/movies/party --- nothing piano-related.

Day Of: I do nothing piano-related.

Minutes Before - Test Real Piano: I test out the piano, keys, pedal, bench... (if allowed) with a few opening bars of each piece.

Minutes Before - Warm-Up on Different Piano): I blast through things TOTALLY not related to my competition/concert --- usually a few Joplin rags to get really pumped.

Real Deal: Have fun!
"self is self"   - i_m_robot

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 01:13:40 PM
Morning Before: I play through everything once as if it were the real competition/concert

Evening Before: I go out to dinner/movies/party --- nothing piano-related.

Minutes Before - Test Real Piano: I test out the piano, keys, pedal, bench... (if allowed) with a few opening bars of each piece.

Minutes Before - Warm-Up on Different Piano): I blast through things TOTALLY not related to my competition/concert --- usually a few Joplin rags to get really pumped.

This is the best advice I read so far. :D

One should never play the recital pieces on the day of the recital.

In his online book Chang gives a very good explanation why this should be. Read it those of you who want more details.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 11:22:24 AM

I prefer to go over the piece at medium tempo, focusing on the tougher spots. Just feel more comfortable. Not related, but does can someone tell me if by half tempo that means half of what the final speed is,so if 130 is the performance speed, it would be 65?

Nick
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert