Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: giving recitals  (Read 1506 times)

Offline liszmaninopin

• PS Silver Member
giving recitals
on: October 18, 2004, 01:06:38 AM
When a pianist reaches the point that they're giving a recital at least once a month or so, do they usually play different pieces at every recital, or do they maintain a "pool" of perhaps a dozen or twenty works that they play in most of their concerts?

Offline kempff

• PS Silver Member
Re: giving recitals
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 03:39:17 PM
Basically, if they are going to perform during a performing season, they choose a selection of works for that particular seasons. They feel it with concertos, solo recitals and chamber music. For example if he is going to play in 12 recitals, he can do something like this:

3-4 orchestral performances
5-6 solo performances
2-3 chamber music performances

Remember, they repertoire is ever growing, so it changes season after season.
Kempff+Brendel= GOD

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 10:32:58 PM
NOT being a concert pianist myself, I can only guess, but, according to my teacher, who WAS, they maintain a "short list" of pieces that they program around for one or two seasons. They get booked for recitals a couple of years in advance, especially for concerto work, so there is plenty of time to prepare new stuff.  But once they have a concerto on the "books" and learn it, their agents go to work getting more bookings for the same concerto.  at least that's how my teacher describes it.
So much music, so little time........

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 04:15:30 PM
sounds about right to me.

boliver
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert