Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt Piano Concerto No. 2  (Read 8977 times)

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Liszt Piano Concerto No. 2
on: December 13, 2012, 05:19:20 PM
I think I will start to learn this concerto, but I always like to start with the difficult spots first. What are they?
I don't have the sheet music yet, so I'd like to hear what you think of it, and how difficult it was for you to play etc etc etc ? :)
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline the89thkey

Re: Liszt Piano Concerto No. 2
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:04:47 AM
Hm, thats interesting. I tend to procrastinate about difficult spots ;) ...when I was learning Rach 3 I put off the 1st movement cadenza and certain portions of the finale until the very end.

Anyway, about Liszt 2: I recommend you get the score and look it over. Here is a link to an online score that you can print (although I would get a real score, it doesn't cost too much and may even cost less than the ink to print out this one...
https://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/a/ab/IMSLP00647-Liszt_-_Piano_Concerto_No.2.pdf
You will find out where the hard places are when you start reading through it. There aren't too many.

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:37:10 PM
Thank you.

More info?? advices?
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:26:44 PM
Hey Man... Unfortunately I've never played this Concerto, but I love it to death. I want to learn it after the Brahms 1st Piano Concerto.

After hearing it though - careful of the last movement.

Offline vitalyjovtchev

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:36:39 PM
I have never played it, but it does not look like the hardest of Liszt compositions. I am only an amateur, but as far as I have been told, some pianists find Liszt 'unusually' easy... it depends upon your background and previous studies.

The last movement looks awkward, and it seems to require a very delicate and extremely rapid touch in some points, otherwise it does not seem impossible. Also, bear in mind that the Second Concerto is not a virtuosistic 'show-off', unlike the First one.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 02:10:38 AM
Also, bear in mind that the Second Concerto is not a virtuosistic 'show-off', unlike the First one.

Are you KIDDING ME? With the 3rd movement full of those big chunky chords at rigorous speeds, and the 4th movement with it's speed and the octave glissandos??? Are you SERIOUSLY KIDDING ME?

Personally I find the 2nd Piano concerto to be more virtuosic than the first one, considering the first movement is seriously over-played.

Offline bachmoninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 08:20:02 AM
Are you KIDDING ME? With the 3rd movement full of those big chunky chords at rigorous speeds, and the 4th movement with it's speed and the octave glissandos??? Are you SERIOUSLY KIDDING ME?

Personally I find the 2nd Piano concerto to be more virtuosic than the first one, considering the first movement is seriously over-played.

How do you think the Liszt concerto no. 2  compares to Rhapsody on theme by Paganini?
Bach - WTC no.16 Bk 1
Beethoven - Piano Sonata op. 7
Chopin - op. 10 no. 7 & op. 25 no. 6
Liszt - Mephisto Waltz no. 1
Prokofiev - Piano Sonata no. 2
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto no. 2

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 04:57:17 PM
Difficult to say, they are both big works. What's your impression based on looking at both of them?

Offline bachmoninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 07:22:16 AM
Difficult to say, they are both big works. What's your impression based on looking at both of them?

Well I noticed they are very different in both their difficulties, style and structure so I found it quite difficult to judge. The Rachmoninoff seemed more uncomfortable with its hand crossings and speed whereas the Liszt has a lot more musicality and interaction between piano and orchestra which is supremely difficult. They are so different I can’t tell.

But the reason I ask such a question is because I wish to play one of them and I really want to know which one is more fitting. I love them both a lot but yeah, I can’t tell.

Alsoooooo, I do also wonder which one would be better for a COMPETITION. That’s also a big factor. Doesn’t matter what type of competition except it being for a concerto one.
Bach - WTC no.16 Bk 1
Beethoven - Piano Sonata op. 7
Chopin - op. 10 no. 7 & op. 25 no. 6
Liszt - Mephisto Waltz no. 1
Prokofiev - Piano Sonata no. 2
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto no. 2

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 06:29:01 PM
I honestly think the best one would be whichever suits you as a musician the best, technically and musically, so you have a chance to play at your best and shine in it. I don't think competition juries are that impressed by pure technical ability, as at least in the big competitions, everyone who competes can basically play anything.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert