Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Upper arm pain - some advice please  (Read 5032 times)

Offline green

• PS Silver Member
Upper arm pain - some advice please
on: December 15, 2012, 07:13:26 PM
I have cervical spondylosis, not debilitating, but causes daily pain and discomfort. I have tried using support bands on my upper arm, the top of the arm where it connects to the shoulder (don't know the anatomical name off hand), and those seem to stabilize the upper arm, and yes they do cut circulation somewhat, but what I have found is that I can play much faster, and with an unusual lightness, and was wondering if anyone can shed light on why this may be. I try to keep them as loose as possible, but I'm guessing that they do two things, stabilize the upper shoulder arm, which is responsible for horizontal arm movements at the keyboard, and the bands deactivate the muscle and therefore allow it to relax somewhat. I notice that the upper arm muscles do tend to tense unnecessarily when not using the bands which may be a bad habit or a sign of weakness in that muscle group?

I do use a lumbar support which also helps with long sitting.

Insights welcome! Thanks.

Offline the89thkey

Re: Upper arm pain - some advice please
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:35:08 AM
Rest.

Offline green

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:26:29 PM
I discovered that I am indeed tensing the upper arm, and out of habit raise and move the arms from the upper arm when playing. I have often played with spinal support but I suddenly felt the lower lumbar supporting the whole upper body, and I had to consciously allow the upper arm to just dangle. In doing so I suddenly saw in my mind the images of Horowitz when sitting, and I believe he does this, his upper arm is very quiet, he never raises from the upper arm or shoulder, but you do see him lifting his whole upper body from the lower lumbar. I feel alot more control this way, my upper arms do not hurt or get tired so quickly, and I feel much more body arm connection this way. But I do know that my upper arms are weak, and the cervical spine pain radiates down the arm which sucks. Rest, well this has been a chronic problem for many years, rest has never helped unfortunately, it is an issue of alignment that I am only just beginning to figure out.

Offline okietransplant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 07:35:56 PM
I am sure you have tried lots of treatments.  What I am going to offer here is only a stab in the dark.  I have had chronic neck pain and tennis elbow for the past two years.  Going to Pilates at my gym has helped me alot with core strength and back and neck alignment.  I have tried several treatments, but physical therapy has helped the most.  There is a new treatment called trigger point needling.  I have had it on my back, neck, and arm.  It takes a few treatments to really help. 

I am planning on taking a few lessons with someone who has studied the Taubman technique.  You might consider Taubman or Alexander approaches to the piano.  I know how difficult it is to want to play, and your body doesn't cooperation and is in pain.  Best wishes to you.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert