Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Older and starting over  (Read 2585 times)

Offline mbrus

• PS Gold Member
Older and starting over
on: December 22, 2012, 02:40:34 AM
I would covet opinions from both teachers and piano amateurs on the feasibility of getting back into piano after a hiatus of some 30 years. Some background: I did a piano performance minor in college with premed major. Had maybe 12 yrs of piano under my belt. Went off to medical school, then practice, then raising family. I occasionally had time to sit and play, but, alas, not much. Kids are gone now, I am 56, and was recently titillated about maybe getting back into performance after listening to some of the pieces I used to play, eg Fansasy Impromptu, Beethoven sonatas, and Rachmaninoff C minor prelude and others. So, the question is, can an old codger like myself really expect to develop enough finger and wrist "limberness" to actually get back into playing half-way decently? I have been tempted to sink some $ into a 6' Steinway grand for the parlor but am not sure if I'd be wasting money. One thing I am sure of is that anything short of that will not keep me motivated to play on a regular basis. Bottom line... can someone regain some of the capability from long ago in their 50's after a really long hiatus? or is that a pipe dream?
Mario

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Older and starting over
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:00:51 AM
There's no reason why you cannot get back into piano and yes you can regain a lot of what you could do in the past, its like re-learning to ride the bike over and over again ;) Unless you have problematic medical conditions I really don't see anything that should stop you from trying. If you are going to spend big money on a piano then maybe you want to think about getting professional help getting back into piano playing as well.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline jknott

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:19:39 AM
I have a history similar to yours - perhaps not quite as advanced but I got distinction in abrsm G8 in my teens then didn't really play properly for 35 years. Recently restarted at 52 and after 6 months am getting back to standard I was at - or beyond.  Interestingly I pay attention to different things in my playing now - much more self-critical on phrasing and tone, but I also try things I would never have thought of playing when I was younger.  Have also got over my fear of fugues which had bugged me for 35 years since G8! 

So I would encourage you to go for it  :).  But would strongly recommend getting a good teacher.  I have lessons every couple of weeks and it makes me focus and challenge myself much more.  Otherwise I would just sight-read and never get pieces to a proper standard.  Also good for suggesting new repertoire.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:16:29 PM
I'm 62, recently ( back in May) came back to piano after being away for a long time. I was at level 8+, had performed in the community, had 10 years of private lessons and 5 years of music school accordion lessons prior to that. Medications took off the edge for me and I stopped playing but alas I have returned. I'm working my way back to nearly level 7 at this point. I still take those meds and several more, so I kick myself in the butt for having left in the first place ( I'm on a cocktail of crap you guys give out to patients LOL !).

You can do it, you just need the desire and a decent piano. You may or may not need a teacher. I'm doing it without a teacher, in fact have a couple of students myself. It's slowly all coming back to me and I am pleased. I just took the path of I will do what I can, and I'm kind of surprising myself. The first couple of months were tough, determined to not throw in the towel had to start out with very low level work and 10 to 20 minute intervals of practice. Now I can do several pieces, have a planned performance in my house on Christmas Eve for 25 guests. Nothing big but four and five page arrangements, some hymns and carols etc., of about level 5 and 6 work. I've started on some level 7 work, a little Chopin and a couple of Shubert pieces but very slowly, as I don't want to derail my little performance. Once that's done I'll put that work away and go on to these with more vigor.

You're a spring chicken sort to speak, we have a fellow here at 89 starting up piano ! Seriously, it's very feasable for you to relearn at least a good portion of what you left behind. Take your time, put in your work, I hope it goes well for you !
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline teran

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 03:17:38 PM
Considering you had all those years and even minored in performance should make it sort of like riding a bike, except with a bit more rust to shake off than usual.

It's entirely feasible, and you have the huge advantage of all that knowledge being buried rather than needing to be gained.

Offline mbrus

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:31:52 PM
Thank you all for encouraging words. I think I will wait for six month or so to make sure the feeling does not go away, then maybe take the plunge again. My fingers feel so stiff, though, so I know I will be in for a bit of flexibility training for several months, anyway, maybe a year.
Mario

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:53:54 PM
Hi mbrus,

My story is similar. I was a very good classical guitarist until I went to med school and life kept me from playing for many years. When I went back to guitar I found it quite frustrating to be unable to play well pieces that I had in my repertoire originally. So I switched to piano and love it completely now that I'm retired and have lots of time to practice.

If you have any interest in harpsichord or organ, maybe switching to another instrument would blunt the frustration of getting your piano technique back when you have memories of having had a really good technique in the past. Or for something completely different, I understand violas da gamba are not very expensive (compared to pianos) and not horribly difficult to learn.

Not that I disagree with the folks who say you'll be able to get your technique back.

Bill

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 12:23:24 AM
You absolutely can do it!  I have a music degree and returned to the piano after a long hiatus.

One piece of advice:  get a GOOD teacher.  I work with a concert pianist here in NYC who is a brilliant teacher.  He's saved me many hours of agony by pointing out the obvious in technical issues that had gotten rusty or were never fixed in my younger years.

This is controversial on this forum, but, do finger strengthening exercises such as Pischna and Dohnanyi.  You'll get back your chops quicker.  Trust me on this.  Despite the contrary opinions, you won't get what you need technically from manic repetition of problem places in the repertoire alone.  You need to do some heavy lifting, too.
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 12:49:01 AM
Go for it, man!  It's never ever too late.

When you decide to get a piano, get a really good one which is a pleasure to own, and the ownership of which comes with some pride.  As you so aptly note, it will help you stay inspired (as well as being much more rewarding to play).  Your suggestion is an excellent choice (and don't overlook previously owned Steinways; there was a short time a few years back when they had some quality problems, but new one and ones from before WW II are superb, if well cared for).

You being a medical man can make more sense out of the stiff fingers, but I might note that I, at age 71 now, have found that one baby aspirin a day takes the twinge off the slight arthritis... but as you know it's not recommended for everyone.
Ian

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 05:25:55 AM
Thank you all for encouraging words. I think I will wait for six month or so to make sure the feeling does not go away, then maybe take the plunge again. My fingers feel so stiff, though, so I know I will be in for a bit of flexibility training for several months, anyway, maybe a year.

Don't think "muscles", mbrus, think "fingertip sensitivity". That's what you have to get back. "Weigh" the keys with your fingertips one by one, sound every note twice, practise S-L-O-W-L-Y and softly. Realize all the time that you don't need power to get a key down. From time to time (but not too often in the beginning), check how your body gradually adapts to the instrument by playing something for fun. Your body and your mind will gradually start recalling old repertoire. I agree with cmg's comment about stretching, but I think it's best to put that off a little.

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline love_that_tune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 03:44:00 PM
Don't wait.  I didn't play much when I was raising three kids and besides my ex hogged piano time.  Now that I'm a senior citizen, I am a better pianist than ever.   And I also have a better piano than ever.  All the things you did with your brain will contribute to your piano playing.  Truly truly.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert