Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Anticipating piano coming home  (Read 2026 times)

Offline owensdad1

• PS Silver Member
Anticipating piano coming home
on: December 28, 2012, 06:32:52 PM
I'm a newcomer to these boards.  Yesterday, I saw and played my renovated 1939 Steinway S at the home of my tuner, Tom Lepinski, about 30 miles north of El Paso, TX (my location).  Tom has done a wonderful job:  repairing the base bridge, replacing all the strings, putting in new (larger) tuning pegs, replacing the damper felts, hammers, shanks, and flanges, refelting the keyboard, regluing the lyre, regulating the action, and doing the initial voicing of the hammers.  This piano has been a part of my entire life (I'm 67; my mother bought it in 1940), and it sounds as beautiful--and plays as smoothly--as I remember from my childhood.  Thank you, Tom!  Because of scheduling problems around the holidays with the best piano mover in the area, it will come home on January 3rd.  I am like a kid before Christmas, and I doubt I'll be able to sleep well on January 2nd!

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anticipating piano coming home
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:28:50 PM
Conrats ! I used to play on an S years ago.

Some day I'd like to do that to my 1889, 5'11" Henry F Miller Parlor Grand.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline owensdad1

• PS Silver Member
Re: Anticipating piano coming home
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:10 PM
If you do have your piano rebuilt, be sure you have a good technician to work on it!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert