Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Conservatories in the US  (Read 3326 times)

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Conservatories in the US
on: January 01, 2013, 03:05:28 PM
I'm thinking of applying to the US for postgrad music studies, and I have certain schools in mind - Mannes, Glenn Gould School, NEC, Boston Conservatory, Oberlin Conservatory, Cleveland Institute, Curtis, University of Oklahoma, Longy School of Music and Manhattan School of Music.

From what I remember, Curtis doesn't offer Postgrad in Piano studies - so I'm left with the remaining 9 (Oklahoma only for the pedagogy course).

I'm quite curious about the acceptance rate of these schools - in particular Mannes and Glenn Gould School, and some details about their course structure and miscellaneous stuff.

Not being a particularly 'gifted' pianist I didn't want to include top schools like Julliard and Eastman into the list. I'm more interested in schools that provide a supportive environment for students. I'm not sure if any of the schools that i've mentioned rank among these 2 though

Any info on these schools (or other recommendations) are greatly appreciated!

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Re: Conservatories in the US
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:33:11 AM
Just to add i realised that Yale gives free music education... So i've decided to have a shot at it. Looking through the websites I've narrowed down the list to Yale, Mannes and NEC (in terms of preference).

Anyone familiar with life in Yale's music school or its acceptance rate?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:13:06 PM
you might also look to see where particular noted artists in residence are vs just the school, you can really luck out and study with an amazing teacher at a smaller 'overlooked' school, i think at this level it's the instruction and time you spend with your advanced teacher that will really make the biggest impact onyour playing (i.e at the performer's certificate/artist diploma and sililar level).

i.e this guy is incredible, taught at peabody for a long time, studied with leon fleisher, artist in residence now at the college of charleston
https://music.cofc.edu/about/faculty-and-staff-listing/graf-enrique.php

lots of others, that 's just an example i had a direct link handy to. you can do some googling on pianists/virtuosos you would like to study with and see if/where they are currently teaching, also at these 'sleeper schools' the competition can be a little less (though the standards for entrance no less demanding), and so also aid can many times be very generous, including some really good graduate assistanships

Offline jy_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 09:31:51 AM
hello forummers, its that time of the year again... applying for music schools (in my case, MMUS)...

So I've settled on 3 schools - NEC, Yale and IU Jacob School of Music

Any teachers to recommend for NEC and IU? My personal choices are
(for NEC): Veronica Jochum, Alexander Korsatina and Stephen Drury.
(for Jacob): Luba Edlina-Dublinsky, Evelyne Brancart and Edmund Battersby ..

Anyone familiar with them (personalities etc)?

Generally I prefer someone who is patient

I don't really have high hopes of entering them so I've applied to the UK too.

Just in case anyone is wondering, my audition rep is -
Bach P&F in Aflat (book 1),
Haydn Sonata in C major XVI: 50,
Liszt Rigoletto Paraphrase, and
Griffes Tone Poems #1 (The Lake at Evening) OR Roman Sketches #3 (Fountain of the Acqua Paola).

Just to give a general idea of what level I'm at, I will be playing the following for my final recital - Bach Italian Concerto, Schumann Kinderszenen, Kabalevsky Piano Sonata Op.46 and the complete Griffes Tone Poems.

Would appreciate any comments!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert