Piano Forum

Topic: Days Without Playing Piano...  (Read 4089 times)

Offline quiescen

• PS Silver Member
Days Without Playing Piano...
on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:15 PM
Believe it or not, I can go for days without playing piano. In fact, I like to. I do this not because of some kind of goal though. I do it because a lot of times, I just don’t want to play the piano.

This may sound like anathema coming from a piano teacher, but let me tell you something… the reason I stay away from the piano is a creative one, meaning, I have nothing to say or express at that particular time.

I don’t play piano to please others or to perform. I play piano because I see it as a natural extension of my creative self. A musical balm I can put on anytime I want to simply because I can.

Now, the rub of this of course is that if you don’t practice, you lose facility. That’s a hard fact. But it’s a fact I’m not too concerned with because what I play is usually therapeutic fare - a note salad of tones and textures that pleases me to no end. I play a E minor 7 chord and it begins - the sound, minor and appealing. Then movement; fingers start playing around with chord tones and music comes forth.

Now, this of course, is more than enough to content me. In fact, there are times where it completes me in a way that no other activity can. A musical nourishment that effortlessly melds into me. Playing and player become one and it is at this instant that the music is at it’s most powerful.

Offline chapplin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Days Without Playing Piano...
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 06:29:34 PM
Good for you.

Offline drexo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:56:36 PM
I can go without playing for a few days too.

I keep playing the music and the notes/patterns in my head though, which is actually quite productive when it comes to memorizing pieces. Visualization is the key to memorize imo.

Offline danielekstrom

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:56:52 AM
I don't really do that, I have a compulsive need to play, plus I'm preparing for an audition in the fall, so I really can't afford not to. The most I'll go is a day. Any more than that and I'm miserable. I can see what you mean, though. Sometimes, if I don't play a specific piece for a couple of days, it feels/sounds awesome when I play it again.

Sometimes, I'll get that where I can't find anything to say, but I often will force it out of myself and it will end up being something wonderful. You should try that some time. Play when you're not in the mood and after about an hour, something will shift.
“I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed . . . equally well.”
― Johann Sebastian Bach

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:21:39 PM
Maybe you could imagine this also: If you play the piano more you will get better and be able to become more free.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline jnoelliste

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:14 PM
Wow, that's really a beautiful relationship that you have with improvisation Daniel! It is great to release yourself from the rigor of professional performance etc. so that improvisation can be devoted entirely to self-healing and self-expression. There are times when I have divine improvisational moments as you speak of...but, the grind of perpetual practice and professional deadlines certainly impinge on these divine moments. Yet, I also agree with "lostinidlewonder"...the more we practice improv, the better we get at it which means that we can delve into deeper, more intense improvisational expression than wasn't available to us before. It heightens the experience when more ideas are at the disposal of our finger tips so to speak. There's nothing as frustrating as "hearing" the sounds we want to make in our mind's ear, but not having the technique or the ear training to realize it lol When that happens to me, I just stop playing and listen to the grand symphony in my head...
Joseph Noelliste<br />Solo Pianist and Composer<br />www.jnoelliste.com<br />www.facebook.com/jnoelliste

Offline mahlermaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:43 AM
I've been too many days without playing the piano :(
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert