Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Problem with the keys  (Read 1290 times)

Offline patrick2000

• PS Silver Member
Problem with the keys
on: January 12, 2013, 02:46:21 AM
Hi there,
After I pressed a key the key makes a kind of "tik" sound when it comes up again.
It sounds like as if the keys  are not being slowd down. And thuis is goth every key
Is this normal?  Does somebody know why this is?
I have a Yamaha digital piano CLP840

Thanks in advance! !

Offline keys60

Re: Problem with the keys
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 12:19:28 PM
Keyboards have noise reduction materials on contact points. (felt) Sounds like it may be worn in spots.

Offline magic_hands

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:03:27 PM
Is this the only reason for a tick? Suddenly 4 of my notes next to one another have been affected at once. Seems unlikely that they all instantly become worn, one after another. Is there anything I can do?

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:30 PM
Standard Yamaha keyboard failure number 1. I've never actually taken one apart to see in detail why it happens, but obviously the basic problem is that whatever soft material is supposed to catch the keys on the way up is either worn out or displaced. It seems to happen to practically all Yamahas after a few years.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline keys60

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:16:07 AM
That felt is just one long strip across the top of the keys. When the key bounces back up, it makes contact. Sure. It can be wearing in one particular spot that is heavily played and consecutive keys will click. Of course this is a fairly educated diagnosis. Its really hard to tell sight unseen.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert