Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2  (Read 15701 times)

Offline brendan765

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2
on: January 14, 2013, 05:22:05 AM
Check my videos so far... Brendan4Piano2BMX is my Youtube channel..please watch videos! I have new pieces on there everyday now...I'll have my whole repertoire and new ones on there here soon..mostly recorded on living room Baby Grand, and some live performances, as well as my own compositions here soon.

There is so much still to be created. 88 keys, you do the math. ∞

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2
Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:30:48 AM
Or more directly:

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline brendan765

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:31:40 AM
Or more directly:

Haha, I don't know how to do that...share instead of Embed?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:35:19 AM
Haha, I don't know how to do that...share instead of Embed?

Use the youtube tags [ youtube ] (no spaces) and [ /youtube ].  Just put the url of the relevant yourube page inbetween them.  If you're logged on to youtube, change the https:// to https:// or it won't work.

[ youtube ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KPsXM68FDE[ /youtube ]
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:15 AM
If you play the piano like this I can't imagine you have the sensitivity to compose very well.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline brendan765

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:36:15 AM
If you play the piano like this I can't imagine you have the sensitivity to compose very well.

Well I can, and i'll put that up too, I might not be a concert pianist or whatever but who cares...Piano isn't a competition.

Offline brendan765

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:46:01 AM

I'll get better at playing...you know I was never taught technique at all? Just the music and how to read it good...I'm with teachers now who are technique extrordinaires. So my technique will get better.  I compose good because the music came from me, and obviosly it has the technique which i'm good with in it. I play Rachmaninoff quite a bit better than Chopin, because of his light touch...it's hard for me to immitate espicially on a Kimball because its action's terrible and has a very bad sound loudness/touch ratio.

You nearly have to close the lid all the way to get a pianissimo otherwise, you will have action malfunctions and the hammers wont hit the strings.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:09:08 AM
...Piano isn't a competition.
It is peculiar how you think it's not a competition when you are below average in one area, yet you compare yourself with Liszt, Chopin, even people will study your scores like they do Beethoven and you compose BETTER than Bach. So you already have compared yourself and said you are better. But unfortunately if you are "Better" than them even in your composing you would in your playing show musical sensitivity of a composer, however in your video examples all we see in an amateur who doesn't know how to play with sensitivity.

I'll get better at playing...you know I was never taught technique at all?
It is not technique but musicality which you need to catch up on, unfortunately those who are great composers have this naturally and it is not taught, you have a looooong way to go.

I compose good because the music came from me...
That doesn't make it good in the real world but in the made up world within your delusions of grandeur I am sure it does.

I play Rachmaninoff quite a bit better than Chopin
It is not hard to play better than what you have displayed here, so this comment is not saying anything at all.

because of his light touch...it's hard for me to immitate espicially on a Kimball because its action's terrible and has a very bad sound loudness/touch ratio.
It is still no excuse for someone who says they are a better composer than Bach.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline johnmar78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:26:12 AM
Hi Breden, I have listened to your chopin.  Not bad for a new start.
I am sure , Chopin like his pupisl playing with their soul, often the "touch' is soften. You have lots of talent and enrergy, but you need a good mentor to overlook your playing. ATM, your touch is too stiff so as your playing mechanics. Fix these up and you are a better player...

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline andreslr6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:41:34 AM

Offline onwan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:19:46 PM
brendan765: I'm so sorry but your playing wasn't good, at all! You told, that you have musical feeling but I haven't found it yet.Your playing is absolutely rubbish, you play accent in place where it can't be and play "softly" (don't know if I can use it, If I hear you) in wrong place, too. Your pedaling isn't the best I've ever heard, there is a lot you can improve. 1:18? what the hell it is? Have you ever heard any pianist play it this way? Oh my god, I'm speechless.
The other side, your technique isn't as bad as it sounds, but you have to work on the interpretation. I can't imagine teh way your compose, but i'll be happy if you share with us some of your work, maybe I'll be wrong.
I put here my own playing of this piece, I'm not saying that I'm the best, I'm not saying that there isn't any mistake or place which I could do better (every time there is something you can do it better). But I just want you to hear other interpretation than only yours.

Bach-Prelude and Fugue 2
Mozart-Sonata 545
Schubert-Klavierstucke D946 - 1, 2
Chopin-Etude 10/9, 25/12
Liszt-Un Sospiro
Rachmaninoff-Prelude 23/5, 3/2

Offline starstruck5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 04:52:25 PM
I read the comments before I viewed the video -wow you guys -is this 'lets be nasty to Brendan-week or something?'

I understand Brendan that you have made some wild claims in other threads -and I put this down to youthful immaturity more than anything -perhaps it is wiser to let your deeds do your talking for you -

In any case I didn't find your playing so terrible -clearly there are areas where you can improve -above all in the nocturnes there is in Chopins' most lyrical passages a core serenity -which you haven't captured at all -let the long notes sing out more -You need to play as if the piano is a human voice. If you ever play Chopin as if you are typing, it is really a lost cause -but there some tender moments - I think it is hard to play at your best when that recorder is running!

When a search is in progress, something will be found.

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 05:49:09 PM
Brendan, if I may be a little more specific in my suggestions than some of the others here  :)

You've done a good job of learning the notes (not perfect yet) but you need to work on phrasing and dynamics, and especially in the left hand. Chopin's left hand parts should never sound like a brass band playing oom-pah-pah. Hesitate just a little before the second of the three chords. The third chord should be softer than the second one.

Also the bass notes trace out a melody, we should be able to hear the shape of that melody. Work on that, and then think of ways to introduce a little rubato here and there. Chopin is very organic, it should sound more spontaneous, as if it just occurred to you to stretch it out in certain places and tighten it up in others. But in a very gentle way.

And remember it's a nocturne -- a piece to be played at night. Think of a full moon shining through an open window in Mallorca. A cliche perhaps, but you need to express some kind of mood.

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 06:39:00 PM
as much as i hate this piece, so i loaded up your prelude in c minor

dear god

Offline onwan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:13 PM
I agree the prelude is totally out of the rhythm. Could you (brendan765) play more from your heart than from your brain? Good thing about the performence was, that you weren't play wrong notes. Other aspects you have trashed.
PS: I don't want to be a bad guy, I just wanna you to be better.
Bach-Prelude and Fugue 2
Mozart-Sonata 545
Chopin-Etude 10/9, 25/12
Liszt-Un Sospiro

Offline aniir

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 08:55:08 PM
I swear this has GOT to be a joke... ;D But not a very good one. :-X So you're kidding us, right? Seriously you just CAN'T play it that crap. I'm sorry but I really think you truly suck. That was downright awful.

Offline brendan765

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 03:55:02 AM
brendan765: I'm so sorry but your playing wasn't good, at all! You told, that you have musical feeling but I haven't found it yet.Your playing is absolutely rubbish, you play accent in place where it can't be and play "softly" (don't know if I can use it, If I hear you) in wrong place, too. Your pedaling isn't the best I've ever heard, there is a lot you can improve. 1:18? what the hell it is? Have you ever heard any pianist play it this way? Oh my god, I'm speechless.
The other side, your technique isn't as bad as it sounds, but you have to work on the interpretation. I can't imagine teh way your compose, but i'll be happy if you share with us some of your work, maybe I'll be wrong.
I put here my own playing of this piece, I'm not saying that I'm the best, I'm not saying that there isn't any mistake or place which I could do better (every time there is something you can do it better). But I just want you to hear other interpretation than only yours.

I played it better than you.

Offline teran

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 04:39:43 AM
Lol  @ this thread.

Brendan the best advice I can give you which translates more obviously in the physical department than what the rest are saying is that when you play Chopin, imagine the keyboard is actually a cat (or your lover), and you are stroking either of these two things.

Your fingers have quite a a direct attack, which is fine for some music but stylistically doesn't fit Chopin's music.

The singing notes and the tenderness etc etc come more naturally when you play with more of a stroking motion.

Also when the quality of the audio recording is low, it can really kill a lot of the nuance that may have actually been in your performance, so bear that in mind.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 04:56:25 AM
imagine the keyboard is actually a cat (or your lover), and you are stroking either of these two things.

I would easily bang at least 20 or 30 chicks at my school.

Lets stick with the cat... 

..also, not everyone knows how to pet a cat instinctively.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 05:19:55 AM

No you didn't!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 05:47:03 AM

I think some of us are being a bit mean, but you are not exactly helping either :)

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 05:52:00 AM
I think some of us are being a bit mean
When you waltz on into a forum of classical pianists and declare bach to be artless and yourself to be on par with chopin you've got to expect some blunt retorts.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 05:59:16 AM
When you waltz on into a forum of classical pianists and declare bach to be artless and yourself to be on par with chopin you've got to expect some blunt retorts.

I was referring to the claims that he does not even exists...There's no doubt that he lacks some manners and is an arrogant prick :)

Offline onwan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 09:04:11 PM

Oh gosh, Have I ever said that I can play it better? No! I just said, that other interpretations can help you but you are probably so egoistic or just stupid and you don't understand the meaning of it. You don't want to hear any advice, so why have you put the video here? If you will say that you are the best and have the best interpretation, you will never be the best, because you will not make any progress.
I'm done in this conversation!
Bach-Prelude and Fugue 2
Mozart-Sonata 545
Chopin-Etude 10/9, 25/12
Liszt-Un Sospiro

Offline teran

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:16 PM
People in the west not knowing how to pet an animal?

This is the part of the world that feels more sympathy for a stray dog than a starving child in Africa.

I think he'll know how to pet a cat. xD

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 09:13:46 PM
Actually many people do not know how to pet/handle animals. Petting a cat in a way that it actually enjoys it is a skill just like anything else. For some it comes instinctively though.

I am very good at petting cats, but I am not sure I can translate it well enough for the keyboard  :(

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 10:17:34 PM
People in the west not knowing how to pet an animal?

This is the part of the world that feels more sympathy for a stray dog than a starving child in Africa.

I think he'll know how to pet a cat. xD

As someone who's fiance is a dog trainer, who works closely with the myriad of misbehaved animals scattered around melbourne including the abandoned rescue dogs who have been given up on by their owners...working as a behaviour consultant with their new foster carers who have trouble managing their behaviour despite "feeling more sympathy for a stray dog than a starving child in Africa"

...not very many people at all in western nations know how to handle animals.

case in point.

Offline teran

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 11:30:44 PM
You have got to be fuckin kidding me...

Like no offence but, the idea of stroking/petting a cat is a generalised statement for a gentle caress. Most people understand the basic motion, and the implied motion of the statement.

Now I'm being bombarded with balls to the wall pedantry about proper care and handling of animals.

Like really now?

Okay.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 11:52:55 PM

Like no offence but, the idea of stroking/petting a cat is a generalised statement for a gentle caress. Most people understand the basic motion, and the implied motion of the statement.

Now I'm being bombarded with balls to the wall pedantry about proper care and handling of animals.

Like really now?

Okay.

Oh dear, I meant no offence.. just conversation..

The cat comment is fine..  I only entered into any off topic debate because of the overly arrogant comments than Brendan has spattered around the forum.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 12:07:19 AM
Like no offence but, the idea of stroking/petting a cat is a generalised statement for a gentle caress.

I'm not a cat person. At all. I suspect my idea may be somewhat different; it may also explain some of my less satisfactory Chopin moments.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 12:20:22 AM
Perhaps someone can point out which part of this video is the appropriate pianistic motion for chopin...  (sorry teran) :P

How to pet a cat - with animal behaviourist Frania Shelley-Grielen

^Hopefully this will sort out both brendan and j_menz

..outin can verify the validity of the information.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 12:31:04 AM
How to pet a cat - with animal behaviourist Frania Shelley-Grielen

^Hopefully this will sort out ...j_menz

Nope. It assumes you want to please the cat and have it like you. I prefer it when they sullenly avoid me.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 12:33:01 AM
Nope. It assumes you want to please the cat and have it like you. I prefer it when they sullenly avoid me.
Maybe you could hiss at them during any first meeting..

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 12:39:42 AM
Maybe you could hiss at them during any first meeting..

I do. Some of them withdraw to sulk, and some of them withdraw to plot their revenge.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 12:55:01 AM
I do. Some of them withdraw to sulk, and some of them withdraw to plot their revenge.

You would not like my cat, she would probably befriend you anyway.

Offline doudly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 04:05:29 AM

Incredible! O.O

Offline teran

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 04:19:29 AM
I'm not a cat person. At all. I suspect my idea may be somewhat different; it may also explain some of my less satisfactory Chopin moments.

I think you'd do a great job of the Appassionata and Tempest.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 04:20:37 AM

..outin can verify the validity of the information.

Seems to be working, she was not bitten and got one to purr :)
There are two things to consider here: How to approach the cat to pet and how to actually do the petting. I have handled thousands of cats in my lifetime and also seen a lot of people try to pet cats, and some people simply manage to make the cat uncomfortable or annoyed when they try. So no offence to Teran, but no matter how simple it seems, some people lack the required sensitivity. Not too fast or slow, not with too much pressure, but also not with too light touch. And of course one needs to know where to pet and all this may need some adjusting depending on the individual cat.
It does actually sound a bit like playing... that too ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 04:26:32 AM
Perhaps someone can point out which part of this video is the appropriate pianistic motion for chopin...  

In this one none.

But some cats love it when your stroke their body with long fingers using a wrist motion. That could apply here :)

EDIT: Maybe instead of trying to make a video of my playing I should make a video about petting a cat, that would be so much easier. And interesting. There are several basic finger/hand movements in petting, the scratching  movement, stroking movement and patting movement...I might even make a blog :)

Offline teran

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 04:33:36 AM

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 04:39:09 AM
I fear I have at least in part become the forum troll today..

incidently.. my cat spends most of its time on its back - legs up in the air. And if I pet it during this time (no matter which way I do it) it wakes up and attacks my hand before realising its me, purring, and returning to sleep.

The claws digging in to my skin is a different feel to the one I get from piano keys.

Offline teran

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 04:48:51 AM

I can't take this anymore.

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 05:02:44 AM

Like really now?

Okay.

YOU?  YOU?

Complaining about the INSENSITIVITY of others??

YOU were the poster who proudly contributed to the "ugliest pianist" thread who said, and I paraphrase:

"OLD PEOPLE ARE EXEMPT FROM THIS CATEGORY BECAUSE BEING OLD IS UGLY BY DEFINITION."

I found your comments so utterly offensive,  (not to mention the very thread you contributed to), I asked the moderators to delete the damned thread.  Which they did.

So, please, don't b*tch about political correctness here or the suggestion that you have been victimized or misunderstood.

You're obviously shameless.

You owe us all an apology for your earlier tasteless posts.
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

Offline andreslr6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: January 18, 2013, 05:11:42 AM

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 05:19:51 AM

I can't take this anymore.

One down, 75152 more to go...

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 05:27:40 AM

Pffffft... You'll never break me.    ;D

Offline cmg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:39 AM

Amusing.  

And I recall you participated in that offensive thread making fun of "ugly pianists" yourself.  Yes, you took a "higher ground" but failed to clearly voice any objections to the thread's contents.  

Two down, 75153 to go.
Current repertoire:  "Come to Jesus" (in whole-notes)

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 05:30:45 AM
There are 75530 members..

So have others been shot down or is there a safe list?

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 05:35:20 AM
There are 75530 members..

So have others been shot down or is there a safe list?

Funny, mine says differently... Is there a secret section that I am not part of ???
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert