Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: MAMMOTH Seven Foot Upright?  (Read 3975 times)

Offline murphdog

• PS Silver Member
MAMMOTH Seven Foot Upright?
on: February 19, 2013, 04:23:16 AM
Hi, I'm new here so if this has been asked recently, sorry.  Found a piano company called Mammoth Piano Inc that builds a 7'2 handcrafted UPRIGHT piano.......anyone know anything about this beast?  Based on the website description, it uses a Schimmel action, has the string length of a 9 foot concert grand and weighs 1600 pounds!  (heavier than a Fazioli 308)  I know the quality of the build can make or break any piano, regardless of size but on paper this makes a Steingraeber 138 look like a Casio keyboard.  Sounds intriguing.

Website below.  If anyone has played one of these or knows any additional info, it would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Www.mammothpiano.com

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: MAMMOTH Seven Foot Upright?
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:10:15 AM
I wonder how stable such a beast would be? I certainly wouldn't want one falling on top of me.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:10:57 AM
I wonder how stable such a beast would be? I certainly wouldn't want one falling on top of me.

Hmmmm. The revenge of the genie taunters, perhaps?  ;)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline fredhoupt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:51:12 PM
That is the freakiest piano I have ever seen.  Herman Munster would approve.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:34 PM
Interesting, in a slightly academic kind of way since most of us will never see one, still less own one. Also interesting about the 'Schimmel action'. If you look at the website, you'll see that the action is based on a design by an American guy called Schimmel who, as far as I can see, had no connection with the German piano manufacturer called Schimmel.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:28 PM
That is the freakiest piano I have ever seen.  Herman Munster would approve.

Herman would like this upright too.

https://www.klavins-pianos.com/
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:31:27 AM
There were dozens of brands of 7' upright pianos made around the turn of the century.  I played a few in Sunday School in the sixties; I imagine they were all hauled to the dump decades ago. Our church had a "free" upright in every Sunday School assembly room, most missing one or more ivory pieces on the keys.   The bass strings of these tall models made more of a fundamental tone than a console, which uses beat frequencies on the bass I believe, but the treble strings were as plinky sounding as any upright. It is interesting that somebody has found a market to make one of these again. The science of making 40" console  strings (actual strings are longer) sound like real bass notes was developed, as far  as I can tell, about 1939 by Steinway.  This 1941 40" Steinway console I bought is one of the earliest I've seen with the decent tone of the 1890 grand on the treble and a pretty convincing bass.  The pre-depression Steinway 60" uprights (I saw one in a Catholic church basement last month) were as plinky on the treble as any upright.  Any design leaps of consoles that happened in Europe is outside my experience, I confess.  
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert