Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: discolored sax mouthpiece  (Read 4941 times)

Offline rjarsenault1101

• PS Silver Member
discolored sax mouthpiece
on: February 24, 2013, 05:36:37 PM
so earlier this year, I discolored my saxophone mouthpiece, by putting it in hot water. (it's not even my mouthpiece, it's the schools). because it's hard plastic, it reacted this way to the hot water. what used to be blackish, is now more light brown. My teacher got really mad at me, and now every time I play it, I think of how mad he got at me. I want to fix it. anyone here know if it's possible to undo this? like putting it in ice cold water or something?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: discolored sax mouthpiece
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:14:25 PM
Hmm.  I've seen that but didn't know what it was. 

It sounds like it's either not fixable or it's a little risky.  Risky like spreading olive oil on it or lightly buffing it with toothpaste.

Did your teacher tell you not to clean it with hot water?  The teacher may not have known not to do that.  If you're renting or borrowing there should be some of agreement sheet (contract).  It would wise on the teacher's part to specifically include what not to do for cleaning or maintenance.

Use at your own risk....

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?34614-Discolored-mouthpiece-how-to-fix

https://www.saxophone.org/forum/thread/id/3533/name/Hard+rubber+discoloration

The simple great fix is to just buy a new one.  Probably about $100 though. 

And it probably would have happened eventually anyway.  Live and learn.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline rjarsenault1101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:27:33 AM
well, he never told me anything. It just smelled very strongly of weed when I got it, so I thought of washing it. never occured to me that it would change. and he took part of the blame for never telling me that at the first of the year. whenever it happened, he told me to scrub it with toothpaste, and it didn't really work :/

Offline rjarsenault1101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 12:33:03 AM
ok, I've read those links thanks, I'll talk to my teacher (lesson learned) and see what he thinks would work best. I don't want to funk it up more than it already is.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:28:48 AM
Ignorance seems to be contagious. Your teacher should have known better and you should not have accepted an instrument that smells of marijuana!

There is no reversing what happened when you tried to clean it.

Back when I was in school I owned my own mouth pieces for the various instruments I played. They weren't cheap!
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline rjarsenault1101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:19 PM
well he didn't know it smelled. I didn't either until  I went to play it. when I did, I couldn't handle playing it for a weekend, so I thought to wash it myself. Never even considering consulting with him.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert