Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Which Comes First: Quit Current Teacher or Find New Teacher  (Read 1965 times)

Offline justsheila7

• PS Silver Member
Hello~ I realize that this may seem like such an easy question but I'm really confused about this. My mom and I have decided that we may want to move on, but she said that she wanted me to stay with my current teacher for now and then "try" to learn with another teacher for about a month or so. If I do so however, wouldn't that be uninformative to both teachers? I mean, shouldn't I tell the new teacher that I haven't left my current teacher? Or, maybe leave my current teacher first...I'm so confused.

-Thank you.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which Comes First: Quit Current Teacher or Find New Teacher
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:41:20 AM
That would not make much sense and might ruin the beginning of the working relationship with the new teacher (unless he knows and approves). It seems your mother wants to make the decisions on your lessons? I don't know how old you are, but if you have no control over the matter our advice won't help much...

Offline justsheila7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:07:49 AM
That would not make much sense and might ruin the beginning of the working relationship with the new teacher (unless he knows and approves). It seems your mother wants to make the decisions on your lessons? I don't know how old you are, but if you have no control over the matter our advice won't help much...

My mother is rather unsure about this as well. The thing I'm concerned about is that if I don't tell any of the teachers, then the assignments may overlap and I won't be able to handle it. Also, there's of course that possibility that the new teacher may find out ,thus possibly impacting the relationship.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 05:11:43 AM
My mother is rather unsure about this as well. The thing I'm concerned about is that if I don't tell any of the teachers, then the assignments may overlap and I won't be able to handle it. Also, there's of course that possibility that the new teacher may find out ,thus possibly impacting the relationship.

That and your learning may suffer because teachers have different methods and concentrate in different things on different times and that may be very confusing.

Offline justsheila7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:19:24 AM
That and your learning may suffer because teachers have different methods and concentrate in different things on different times and that may be very confusing.

It troubles me though. If I were to leave before actually finding another teacher that I wished to stay with, then there's a chance that I may later regret the decision to move on in the first place. But as stated before, learning with two teachers at the same time has its own complications.

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 06:53:13 AM
I think it's okay to shop around for a new teacher while still with the old one. But I would definitely tell the new teacher that you haven't left yet. Also, don't just leave the old teacher without any explanation. As a teacher myself, this is the worst thing you can do. I'd rather you be honest and tell me you don't like me or I have bad breath or I'm too mean or something, instead of just leaving. Just be honest!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 07:01:14 AM
It troubles me though. If I were to leave before actually finding another teacher that I wished to stay with, then there's a chance that I may later regret the decision to move on in the first place. But as stated before, learning with two teachers at the same time has its own complications.

I don't know how serious you are about your piano study (if you are interested in a career in music). But if you are, I don't think a few weeks is even enough to know if the new teacher's method is the best for your progress. To know immediately would require deep understanding about both your own learning process and the teacher's method and I sense neither you or your mother are experienced enough for that.

Offline elenka

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:41:54 AM
Before quit with with a teacher you should look around and seek a new one and test him/her before change definitely. You know what you're leaving, but you don't what you'll get
Beethoven piano Sonata 26 op.81 "Les Adieux"
Bach WTC I n.14; II n.12, n.18
Chopin op.10 n.12
Rachmaninov prelude 12 in G#min op.32
Moscheles op.70 n. 15

Offline pairra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:42:42 PM
If you're not satisfied with your current teacher then stop lessons with them. Give an adequate explanation and adequate notice.

I think that keeping a teacher while shopping around for another is a bit dishonest. A bit like cheating in a relationship.

I understand that your mother is a bit unsure. Perhaps speaking with the instructor and going over her concerns would help. And then having a trial month to see if anything improves.

Would you care to provide the concerns that your mother has? Then perhaps we can give you advice on how to address these issues with the current teacher.
Composer, pianist, teacher. The best trifecta of them all.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert