Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Satin-finished Yamaha Upright  (Read 14649 times)

Offline dinulip

• PS Silver Member
Satin-finished Yamaha Upright
on: March 12, 2013, 12:05:27 AM
Hi there, everyone ~
I have a satin-finished Yamaha upright, and need some advice on how to erase all the finger prints from its surface... 

Thank you!

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Satin-finished Yamaha Upright
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 07:43:22 PM
A light wipe with glass cleaner in a rag should take off just finger prints pretty well. It leaves no protective film though.

I like the Clorox handy wipes for that type of thing. Although I do my keys mostly with that and pretty often, since kids are at them with who knows what germs. I hit the fall board while I'm at it. My grand is satin black as well. These are the same ones you might do your counter tops with. They are sanitizers as well.

Also, another good product for the finished wood surfaces only ( don't get this on the keys or you will slip and slide all over them) in general is Pledge furniture polish in spray, we use Lemon Pledge. I build clocks, actually clock cases. The clocks are finished in either lacquer or shellac and the pledge works great on them as a general clean and brighten up product, removing fingerprints and dust. I've used it on the piano top many times over the years.  It will raise the luster a little bit when first done.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Satin-finished Yamaha Upright
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:12 PM
Alight wife with glass cleaner in a rag

:o

;D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert