Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Streetís digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the webís most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Preparing for RCM  (Read 1808 times)

Offline ricwyk

• PS Silver Member
Preparing for RCM
on: October 26, 2004, 11:17:24 PM
Hi,
This is my first year taking RCM grade 8. (i took ABRSM before, i hope they're all the same)

I am taking it in Jan, there's just 2 months for me to prepare for it. I need to play 4 pieces in memory, and 2 etudes. They are:

Prelude in B minor op.28 #6     Chopin
Sonatina op.36 # 5    Clementi
Mysterious Summer's Night     Larysa Kuzmenko
Sonata in C minor 3rd      Pescetti

The problem is that i planned to take the exam in June, but my teacher suggested me to take it in Jan. I am doing good in sight reading but still not familiar with the scales and techniques. And i havent memorized the pieces yet.

How should i organize my time to practice? I have heavy school studies and limited time to practice. Do u have any ideas to minimize my practice time and maximize my productivity?

one more thing, i suggusted to my teacher that i would take the exam in june. So she can teach me others things and at the same time i dont have to rush and can prepare for my exam.
But she said she teaches up to grade 8 and wouldnt go further.

Offline andyng85

• PS Silver Member
Re: Preparing for RCM
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 04:30:29 AM
I always warm up with technique...  I do one key and its relative minor everytime.  So after 12 days, I've cycled through an everything.  (gr 10 rcm requires every technique)  As for the pieces, I haven't heard of any of 'em.
any chink azians that wish to chat about music on msn.. add me andyng85@hotmail.com

Offline ricwyk

• PS Silver Member
Re: Preparing for RCM
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 01:05:52 AM
thank you for your suggestions.

Any other tips for me guys? it's urgent coz i have roughly an hour to practice a day. One of my family members works at night, so i have retricted hours to play and i dont have all day to practice.

Plz help..
especially on scales and memorizing pieces

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert