Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Piano concerto improvisation for solo piano  (Read 2129 times)

Offline chopinatic

• PS Silver Member
Piano concerto improvisation for solo piano
on: April 22, 2013, 08:31:13 AM
I had a chance to play on this gorgeous bosenforfer concert grand piano which is worth approx £100,000. I dont get a chance to play something like this too often so i had to get an improv in.
Hope you enjoy it, sorry for the time between posts, ill try post more when i can.

Chopinatic

&feature=youtu.be

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano concerto improvisation for solo piano
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:47:40 AM
I heard what I thought were quotes towards the end but there are some very beguiling changes and phrases around 1:45 to 2:30. Those are spontaneous to you are they ? They are very good.

I have a local friend who has a six foot something Fazioli, and when I play it I need to write off the first ten minutes getting used to it. It's a psychological effect. I tend to think, "Wow, big piano, big sound, I'll have to put proportionate energy into my movements." Of course the reverse is actually the case, its touch is pretty light compared to my piano, and very little effort produces a magnificently controllable sound, a fact which I never seem to learn because, like you, I don't play pianos like that very often.

I suspect you were somewhat under this same spell, but I enjoyed it very much anyway.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano concerto improvisation for solo piano
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:16:19 AM
Very cool. It's got that "this is my moment" romantic concerto flair. I heard Chopin's G minor Ballade and op. 25 no. 12 etude...letting loose with the big technique and octaves and stuff. Great fun!
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert