Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Salò (120 days of Sodom) piano music-related urgent question...  (Read 11387 times)

Offline musikalischer_wirbelwind_280

• PS Silver Member
Hey once more,

I was wondering if anyone has got a full soundtrack listing for this Pasolini film? I've looked, quite literally, everywhere and can't seem to be able to find one. It's terribly frustrating, actually, because I already know most of the featured pieces' names (there are some by Chopin, two preludes and a waltz, if I remember right) and the main theme ("Son tanto triste") but there's one  piece the pianist plays during the first 'circle' right when the first storyteller is recounting some sick crap or the other (big surprise ;) It's very waltzy but that one's definitely not by Chopin, that I'm completely sure of.

Ah, why bother with these descriptions ^^, here's the clip where it's heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=F85I9oEfW0U

The piece starts at about 7:30 :)

Cheers!
Musikalischer Wirbelwind

Offline worov

• PS Silver Member
Oh my God, this is one of the most horrible films I have seen in my whole life. I have seen it only once. However I have very vivid memories of it. I recall the Chopin preludes (no 4, 7, 20), a waltz (opus 69 ??).

Some of the music has been composed by Ennio Morriconne. I'm sure he composed the piece in the opening credits (which is also the same music which ends the film).

But I'm not quite sure about the piece you're looking for.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Don't think I've heard the piece before (except when watching the film, but I didn't really pay attention to the music here). Were the piano pieces listed at all in the end credits? I'm too tired to get up and check the DVD now...

• PS Silver Member
Oh my God, this is one of the most horrible films I have seen in my whole life. I have seen it only once. However I have very vivid memories of it. I recall the Chopin preludes (no 4, 7, 20), a waltz (opus 69 ??).

I think it's rather hard not to end up having vivid memories of this one, worov :o
In my case, I've actually been able to watch it more than once, at least there's some good music and it's certainly a good chance for me to practice my Italian :) Heh, it's funny, I've actually got it with the audio in Italian and the subtitles in Swedish; I don't know almost any Swedish but having always had a bit of a weak spot for Germanic languages, that's another feature I've always appreciated from that film ;)

By the way, the Chopin waltz featured in it is Op.34 No.2  8)

I've never heard it anywhere else, outin; heh, I remember that, upon telling a friend about the music in the film, he said it could hardly be clearer I'm a music-lover if I put so much attention to the music what with all that other stuff going on in it  :)
I think they're not listed at all in my copy; I did find some of the pieces listed in the soundtrack section at IMDB but, as is usually the case with this sort of films, it was only a partial list  >:(
and every single one they mention there I'm already more than familiar enough with, so I know it's none of those...

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Obviously the information about the piece is not available, but found an interesting story about the pianist who's playing:

"The Graziosi case
MURDERER: Arnaldo Graziosi
VICTIM: Maria Cappa
PLACE AND DATE: Fiuggi, 21 October 1945
MATERIAL EVIDENCE: Beretta automatic pistol, mod. 1934, cal. 9 mm., short
PROVENANCE: Frosinone, Public Prosecutors Office, 1948

The musician Arnaldo Graziosi, aged 32, was found guilty of murdering his wife, Maria Cappa, aged 24. The murder took place in a hotel in Fiuggi on 21 October 1945, while the couples 3-year-old daughter was asleep in the same room.

Graziosi pleaded not guilty, claiming that his wife had committed suicide, tortured by guilt because she had contracted a venereal disease before her marriage. Next to her body was a suicide note with the following message: I am paying too dear a price for the only thoughtless action of my life, and for the sake of my daughter and of those people who are dear to me, I must disappear. I do not want them to know how I met my death, I want them to cherish fond memories of me. Maria.

The investigators did not believe the suicide story, and Graziosi was charged with murder. The trial began on 2 June 1947 at the Court of Assizes in Frosinone. The prosecution claimed that the music teacher had a motive for murdering his wife, namely he was having a relationship with a young pupil who was studying piano. Moreover, handwriting experts concluded that the note was not written by the victim.

Graziosi was sentenced to 24 years, 9 months, and 20 days in prison. The sentence was confirmed the following year by the Court of Cassation. Graziosi escaped from Frosinone prison three weeks after the Cassation verdict, but was captured a few days later in the Ciociaria hills.

In prison Graziosi devoted himself to composing soundtracks for documentaries.

In August 1959, after 14 years in prison, he was pardoned after his daughter, then 17, had appealed to the President of the Republic. Shortly afterwards Graziosi gave a concert at the Teatro Sistina in Rome, and in 1962 he married a young Spanish woman in the Church of San Pietro in Montorio in Rome.

On 6 March 1997, a short article in a Rome daily reported that Arnaldo Graziosi had committed suicide by jumping from a balcony at his house in Grottaferrata."

Offline bluthner

• PS Silver Member
I guess it's no use asking mr Graziosi what he played for Pasolini, then...

• PS Silver Member
Reminded me of Gesualdo, that story did  ;) Thanks for sharing, outin, I had never heard of it before. I almost can't believe that there's really no info at all on the pieces featured in the film  :'( It's all the worse since I'd also love to know what's the piece being played during the third prostitute's tale https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuz50iNN-7I (it starts at about 13:05); it reminds me a little of Scriabin's style, particularly in his 6th and 9th piano sonatas, but again, I have no idea what piece it may be  :(

Sorry for taking so long in getting back, by the way, I've been having some problems with my connection and can't log in as frequently as I did before.

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
look at how poorly they orchestrate the music with the choreography.  just downright shocking and macabre. oh the rest of the film...how dare they use chopin

• PS Silver Member
If they dare use classical music for crappy and nonsensical TV ads,crap propaganda-...sorry, political propaganda-riddled movies, etc,  I guess it's not terribly surprising that Pasolini dared use Chopin here.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert