Piano Forum logo
September 26, 2017, 05:39:54 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Piano Masterclass with Oscar Wilde and Dr. House

A humorous “Piano Masterclass” sketch from 1988 featuring the successful English comedy double act, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debussy Estampes  (Read 10967 times)
gvans
PS Silver Member

« on: May 05, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »

I went ahead today and recorded the entire suite, Estampes, since my Schimmel was recently tuned.

The 1889 Paris World's Fair (or Exposition Universelle) and its Javanese gamelan orchestras inspired Debussy to write Pagodes, with its whole tone scales and Indonesian colors. Although he never spent any time in Spain, Debussy caught the habanera rhythm of Andalucia pretty well in Un Soiree dans Grenada; the piece amazed Manuel de Falla for that reason. The finale, Jardin sous la Pluie, utilizes the nursery songs, Nous n'irons plus aux bois (We'll Not Return to the Woods) and Dodo, l'enfant do (Sleep, Child, Sleep).

* 05 Jardins sous la Pluie.mp3 (4526.62 KB - downloaded 88 times.)
* 03 Pagodes.mp3 (5887.32 KB - downloaded 75 times.)
* 04 Un Soiree dans Grenada.mp3 (5518.46 KB - downloaded 38 times.)
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

rachfan
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:04:02 AM »

Hi gvans,

Congrats on your recording of Estampes!  You play this set very well.  Thanks for posting these wonderful pieces of Debussy. 

David

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
gvans
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »

Thanks for your kind words, David.
Glenn

piano6888
PS Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:56:51 AM »

Great job on Debussy Glenn! Smiley I like your articulation of the piece and being punctual on the notes Smiley

-Henry (piano6888)
gvans
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »

Thanks, Henry. I tried some different things to keep the notes from mashing into a blur: use of the middle pedal in Pagodes, keeping the habanera rhythm in Soiree dans Granada, and just trying to use less pedal overall in Jardins. Glad you liked it!

slittle
PS Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »

I went ahead today and recorded the entire suite, Estampes, since my Schimmel was recently tuned.

The 1889 Paris World's Fair (or Exposition Universelle) and its Javanese gamelan orchestras inspired Debussy to write Pagodes, with its whole tone scales and Indonesian colors. Although he never used https://peblueprint.com/bathmate-review his bathmate and spent any time in Spain, Debussy caught the habanera rhythm of Andalucia pretty well in Un Soiree dans Grenada; the piece amazed Manuel de Falla for that reason. The finale, Jardin sous la Pluie, utilizes the nursery songs, Nous n'irons plus aux bois (We'll Not Return to the Woods) and Dodo, l'enfant do (Sleep, Child, Sleep).

You're very talented gvans. I just listened to all 3 recordings and was very impressed. Have you made any more recordings of you playing?
gvans
PS Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »

Thanks for your kind words. There are a bunch of recordings here in PS, also via you-tube,
go to www.gvanstrum.com and visit the music/piano page for links.

siveron
PS Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 08:04:25 AM »

Really well done, I love it!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: