Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What kind of button is this?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
What kind of button is this?
on: May 12, 2013, 10:44:02 PM
Sorry for wasting your time guys.

I wanted to ask you something, but the link was being jank.

So...  How's everyone doing?
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: What kind of button is this?
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:53:28 AM
So...  How's everyone doing?

I'm still anxious about the "ji" missing from your signature.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 01:57:41 AM
I love Sorab myself. Way better than that Sorabji fellow. Thinks he's so much cooler because he has two extra letters attached to his name.
Currently learning -

- Bach: P&F in F Minor (WTC 2)
- Chopin: Etude, Op. 25, No. 5
- Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 31, No. 3
- Scriabin: Two Poems, Op. 32
- Debussy: Prelude Bk II No. 3

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:01:48 AM
I love Sorab myself. Way better than that Sorabji fellow. Thinks he's so much cooler because he has two extra letters attached to his name.

I doubt it was those two letters.  He was named "Leon Dudley" by his parents and adopted the Kaikhosru Shapurji himself. I suspect any coolness in his name he would have attributed to that.

Leon may have some street cred, but Dudley does not really resonate with coolness. Parents choices!  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:04:48 AM
What the hell is this thread about anyway?!  And "jank"?! :o

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 04:12:54 AM
What the hell is this thread about anyway?! 

Nothing at all, it would seem. But unlike many threads with the same poinlessness, it's at least upfront about it.

And "jank"?! :o

https://www.internetslang.com/JANK-meaning-definition.asp

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:19:01 AM
My mom told me today, that because I spend so much time alone, I am forgetting social norms. I am beginning to believe that what happens in my head is normal. So, wouldn't most people on this website do this, since we spend so much time at the piano, alone? Possibly talking to no one else but our selves?
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:40:54 AM
My mom told me today, that because I spend so much time alone, I am forgetting social norms. I am beginning to believe that what happens in my head is normal. So, wouldn't most people on this website do this, since we spend so much time at the piano, alone? Possibly talking to no one else but our selves?

I thought this thread was supposed to be about nothing?

But since you brought it up...Depending on what the definition of "normal" is I doubt what goes on in my head would fall into that catefory...I have always been a loner and do not care for social norms. But I do have a job that requires constant interaction with people, many of which I would prefer not to interact with. So I have learned to act, going to work is kind of role play for me. The key is to not try to deny it completely, but let people know that you're a little bit weird, that only adds to your charm. After all "normal" is also a bit boring. Occasionally when I am stressed it gets a bit difficult and the "real me" comes out too much. But after you have made yourself indispensable people tolerate a lot :)

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 05:18:25 AM
I thought this thread was supposed to be about nothing?

But since you brought it up...Depending on what the definition of "normal" is I doubt what goes on in my head would fall into that catefory...I have always been a loner and do not care for social norms. But I do have a job that requires constant interaction with people, many of which I would prefer not to interact with. So I have learned to act, going to work is kind of role play for me. The key is to not try to deny it completely, but let people know that you're a little bit weird, that only adds to your charm. After all "normal" is also a bit boring. Occasionally when I am stressed it gets a bit difficult and the "real me" comes out too much. But after you have made yourself indispensable people tolerate a lot :)

Haha, that thing I wrote was just a new way of telling people I'm weird. Trying something new, ya know? That is pretty much nothing compared to other, important things.
 How's piano going, Outin?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:31 AM
Whoa, everybody!  
First of all, now that i know what jank means, the opening statement in this thread is grammatically incorrect.  "Jank" is an adjective.  You cannot say, "the link was being jank".  You can say "the link was jank."   Or "the link is jank".  And what 'link' are you talking about.  And since when has rach4ever had a j in his signature?  And how can you talk about 'nothing'?  The whole conception cancels itself out.  Now, if you mean 'nothing' in the figurative sense, 'nothing in particular', or 'nothing special' that means 'anything' and 'everything'.  On the other hand...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 05:27:02 AM
On the other hand...

Umm, I think one can take for granted that users of internet slang are not inclined towards grammatical rectitude.

I meant this thread is about nothing in the same way that Seinfeld (the TV show) was about nothing.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 05:33:41 AM
Whoa, everybody!  
First of all, now that i know what jank means, the opening statement in this thread is grammatically incorrect.  "Jank" is an adjective.  You cannot say, "the link was being jank".  You can say "the link was jank."   Or "the link is jank".  And what 'link' are you talking about.  And since when has rach4ever had a j in his signature?  And how can you talk about 'nothing'?  The whole conception cancels itself out.  Now, if you mean 'nothing' in the figurative sense, 'nothing in particular', or 'nothing special' that means 'anything' and 'everything'.  On the other hand...

You could say the link was acting janky?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 05:42:30 AM
It also must be some sort of noun, otherwise you couldn't put it in a box:

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 05:55:17 AM

Lol steroids?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 12:11:43 PM

Australian, i presume.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 09:01:38 PM

How's piano going, Outin?

Sigh...my teacher totally frustrated me again today...I sometimes think I'm just too old for this, my body simply refuses to do all the things she wants me to do.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 09:03:50 PM
Australian, i presume.

Where can I buy? I want a big strong thumb like that!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:29 PM
Is it safe to buy a black tux shirt online, and get some black pants from somewhere?

Will they match?

They're not the same shade of black probably, but is that okay?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 12:07:29 AM
Is it safe to buy a black tux shirt online, and get some black pants from somewhere?

Will they match?

They're not the same shade of black probably, but is that okay?

I've never bought clothing online, but lots of people do so I guess it's safe provided you are an easy fit.

To match them, make sure the material is different. (Silk shirt, wool pants for example). That way they'll look fine irrespective of the shade of black. If they're the same sort of material and different shades it will look like a kluge job.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 12:10:25 AM
I've never bought clothing online, but lots of people do so I guess it's safe provided you are an easy fit.

It's not exactly easy to find a Mandarin Collar shirt. ::)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 12:28:59 AM
It's not exactly easy to find a Mandarin Collar shirt. ::)

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert