Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: A lot of unused members...  (Read 2291 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
A lot of unused members...
on: May 17, 2013, 10:52:29 AM
Just had to laugh - I wanted to see how many users there were in this site, and according to the site there's a little over 76,000 members. Pretty impressed, I thought...

Then for a laugh I sorted it by those who haven't ever posted, people who seem to have logged on, possibly once only to post their spam and then bugger off - never to be seen again.

If I'm not mistaken, there are approximately 64,000 members who have never ever posted a single thing... why would someone sign up and not post anything? It's not like the forums are only available to those who sign up, is it???

Would it help the forum to wipe out a few members who have never used this site, and haven't logged in, in years??? Do a little spring cleaning??? Can't imagine all that clutter would chug the site a little...

Thoughts???

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: A lot of unused members...
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:15:53 PM
Good idea.  On the other hand, it might be vital to the direction to have that many registered.  Users or not.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:46:20 PM
Nah! Clean them out!
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline patrickd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:41:16 PM
Some of them may have signed up for access to the sheet music. ::)

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:45:51 PM
pp, you have WAY too much time on your hands!
Tim

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 06:41:58 PM
I own a facebook group which has over 5000 active members and the amount of posting and activity dwarfs the activity here. There are not many active posters here but many more lurkers/guests.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 12:40:39 AM
I just wasn't sure if it would help the site run faster, or free up resources on the server.

I didn't think about the free sheet music. How about looking at users who haven't posted anything and haven't logged in, in say the last 2 - 3 years???

@Timothy... It only took me a minute or two to figure this out.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 03:05:49 AM
I just wasn't sure if it would help the site run faster, or free up resources on the server.

65,000 dud users isn't really a lot for the server to wade through. Referential databases are pretty efficient.

The user data would be taking up a fairly insignificant amount of space comparatively to the actual posts for example..

PS is run using simple machines forum..  the simple machines website has 300,000 users and 3million+ posts and runs fine.

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 02:09:31 AM
Probably everyone at some time or other has had to use the Members button to look someone up in order to do a PM for example.  Even when you select the alphabet letter and its pertinent subdivision, there is still a lot of rummaging around trying to find the person.  A cleanup of the files would make searches like that quicker and easier. 

David
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 09:45:18 PM
It's possible they're fake.  Like Nils adds a huge number of fake profiles, esp. gold member ones, and then visitors see the site with x-number of members, a lot paying for gold membership.  So why not sign up and become a gold member too? As opposed to finding a website that has a pay option but few people using it -- Would you sign up?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert