Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: I broke a string:<-(  (Read 2230 times)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
I broke a string:<-(
on: May 18, 2013, 10:24:14 AM
https://sviatoslavrichter.blogspot.com/2012/12/personal-memories-i-vi-by-lbaldecchi.html

The following anecdote comes to my mind because it might be interesting for its technical implications: I told him of a concert I had recently attended during which – after the attack of the very first chords of the Brahms Second Piano Concerto – WHAM! the string broke. He put on an all-knowing expression: “Naturally”, he quipped (imitating precisely the gesture of the pianist concerned), “he uses his stiff forearm instead of his body. I’ve never in my life broken a string!!” He followed the statement with one of his typically naïve expressions which signified: “Really, it’s the truth, don’t you believe me?

I could say the same for most of my life. My recollection is something broke, but not a string in a performance of Chopin's 1st Scherzo when I was in my teens. I broke a hammer on an upright practicing Chopin's 2nd Scherzo (how about that?) around the new year 2010. These were both old pianos, not in the best shape. I had never broken a string...

And then now recently I have broken strings on two different pianos. In September 2013, I broke a string messing around with Busoni's concerto...broke it on that orchestral interuption in the midst of the 4th movement cadenza...broke it the night before a concert in which I was accompanying a singer.

Add to that last night/this morning, forcing myself to improvise to the Zoom on the practice room Baldwin, after spending a couple hours learning music. And somewhere a string breaks...Ach!

Am I stiff? Do I have bad technique? I will say it's an interesting pattern...September when I come in for the semester, not having a piano to practice. May, after the school year, when I'm without of piano to practice. In the home I have a broken Clavinova. I perk working at the school, is I have pianos to practice on...but 50 miles away it is. Ach! I hate breaking the string.

Ah well...can't pin point the moment it happens, but here are the three forced improvs in reverse order.

Dave
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: I broke a string:<-(
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 12:13:33 PM
In September 2013, I broke a string messing around with Busoni's concerto...

That's easy... just go back in your Delorean and just play a little gentler. That will ensure you don't break it     ;D

Add to that last night/this morning, forcing myself to improvise to the Zoom on the practice room Baldwin, after spending a couple hours learning music. And somewhere a string breaks...Ach!

On a Baldwin... I'd probably bet it was the pianos fault that, the string broke. I wouldn't call Baldwin 'quality' pianos.

What was the piano you were using with the Busoni Concerto? Was it a Grand piano? Brand and Model?

I think the biggest *** problem, and sorry to say this - but if you broke a hammer - that's scary. I've never done that EVER!!! And I owned an old Yamaha LU-101 that was bettered to death.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 03:32:54 AM
Dave, I can relate.  Broken many things on pianos.  The old Kawai vertical that was my home piano had something break maybe once every six months.  Treble strings, bass strings, hammer shanks, keys that snapped in half.  It does get very annoying when you are trying to polish music for performance.  My tech said, the piano wasn't really designed to handle the music that was being played on it.  Unfortunately, an upgrade was not financially viable at the time. 

I've just listed to track C, but wished to comment.  Very enjoyable, as always.  Paraphrase of Prelude 28/24 near the end, and some very Scriabin sounding harmonies. 

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:32:30 AM
What was the piano you were using with the Busoni Concerto? Was it a Grand piano? Brand and Model?

Yamaha C7.

I think the biggest *** problem, and sorry to say this - but if you broke a hammer - that's scary. I've never done that EVER!!! And I owned an old Yamaha LU-101 that was bettered to death.

It was fragile. Here's a picture of the aftermath:

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 06:38:57 AM
Dave, I can relate.  Broken many things on pianos.  The old Kawai vertical that was my home piano had something break maybe once every six months.  Treble strings, bass strings, hammer shanks, keys that snapped in half.  It does get very annoying when you are trying to polish music for performance.  My tech said, the piano wasn't really designed to handle the music that was being played on it.  Unfortunately, an upgrade was not financially viable at the time. 

I've just listed to track C, but wished to comment.  Very enjoyable, as always.  Paraphrase of Prelude 28/24 near the end, and some very Scriabin sounding harmonies. 

I was practicing on this piano again last night, and probably will be tomorrow as well...I'm being a lot more cautious. Op. 28 no. 24 is not a current project, but you are right about the paraphrase. I had heard Ivan Moravec playing this prelude  on one of the old Dubal radio programs which has been put on youtube, and was intrigued by the way he handled the doubled 3rds over against most pianist's approach. A section of 3rds in the improve cued the illusion. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert