Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Why are pop 'musicians' so famous and rich, and classical musicians not?  (Read 17686 times)

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Yup.

Eh, there's the rub.  Pianists are notoriously bad at this, and at keeping a beat steady enough the orchestra can follow.  (I've never played piano with an orchestra - I have played in an orchestra accompanying a piano)

The problem is that pianists have an orchestra themselves: the piano. The people in the orchestra have to follow the conductor, but the conductor and pianists relation are more like 'playing together'.
1+1=11

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
The problem is that pianists have an orchestra themselves: the piano. The people in the orchestra have to follow the conductor, but the conductor and pianists relation are more like 'playing together'.

I agree, but there's a skill factor involved.  The people in the orchestra practice playing with each other and following the conductor every day.  The pianist practices playing with the conductor once a year.  (slight exaggeration - but sometimes it is never!)
Tim

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
I agree, but there's a skill factor involved.  The people in the orchestra practice playing with each other and following the conductor every day.  The pianist practices playing with the conductor once a year.  (slight exaggeration - but sometimes it is never!)

Ofcourse, but i was only pointing out that members of the orchestra usually expect the pianist to be a member of their orchestra and behave like a member, while he actually isnt - and shouldnt.

This is also a reason why some conductors cant properly guide pianoconcerts and why some pianists can only play with very good and versatile orchestra's. There's skill for anything i guess ;)
1+1=11

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Ofcourse, but i was only pointing out that members of the orchestra usually expect the pianist to be a member of their orchestra and behave like a member, while he actually isnt - and shouldnt.

I usually expect them to be able to count to 4.  But...................
Tim

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
I usually expect them to be able to count to 4.  But...................

My sense of rhythm and exact meter was ruined during years of being a church organist pulling congregations up to speed. These days I switch the metronome on every classical piece I can.

For some reason when I play bass, locking in with the drums and the band is no problem. Maybe it's because the sound is directly connected to when I pluck the string rather than through some mechanical/electrical connection.

One famous pianist wrote about how difficult it was to keep two grand pianos together facing each other.

In an orchestra situation the conductor keeps the orchestra with what he hears from the piano, not what he sees.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
My sense of rhythm and exact meter was ruined during years of being a church organist pulling congregations up to speed. These days I switch the metronome on every classical piece I can.

That has been my theory too.  You press a key, after a while air fills a pipe, after a bit longer sound fills the church, then finally it echoes back to your ears.  The delay is too long for any human nervous system to stay synchronized. 
Tim

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
That has been my theory too.  You press a key, after a while air fills a pipe, after a bit longer sound fills the church, then finally it echoes back to your ears.  The delay is too long for any human nervous system to stay synchronized. 

Especially if the average listener is 70+
1+1=11
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert