Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Brahms 2nd sonata  (Read 1597 times)

Offline kempff

• PS Silver Member
Brahms 2nd sonata
on: October 30, 2004, 04:38:17 PM
What do you guys think about this piece? I really like it. What are some good recordings of it? I have Richter's recording of it, it's pretty good.
Kempff+Brendel= GOD

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Re: Brahms 2nd sonata
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 04:44:13 PM
 Richter, Arrau, Katchen.  I heard Lupu play a tremendous performance of  it live.  I think it's an absolutely magnificent piece; written when Brahms was only 17.  The last movement is a bit bizarre (especially the ending), but I don't see why this piece isn't played more.

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline kempff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 04:48:22 PM
Richter, Arrau, Katchen.  I heard Lupu play a tremendous performance of  it live.  I think it's an absolutely magnificent piece; written when Brahms was only 17.  The last movement is a bit bizarre (especially the ending), but I don't see why this piece isn't played more.

koji (STSD)

Yeah, it's wierd, but a great piece of music. Have you played it?
Kempff+Brendel= GOD

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 04:54:21 PM
  I've dabbled with it, but never performed it.  One of these days (although that's the case with so many pieces...the piano rep is just too damn big, haha)

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline kempff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 04:57:05 PM
I'm waiting for that day. ;D
Kempff+Brendel= GOD
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert