Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Focus on form or let it be?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline green

• PS Silver Member
Focus on form or let it be?
on: May 27, 2013, 03:15:14 PM
At what stage do you begin looking at form and technique, and I'm talking about with talent, students who are able to play at a high level from an early age, perhaps 7-12. I have two or three students, and I'm thinking of this 10 year old who flys through music, and if I do focus on technique, he has reverted back to normal from the previous week, and I see what a task it will be to keep coming back to this. I would tend to say that form must come first, that he has already past a point where that should have been dealt with, and now his awareness is purely on the music (but with sloppy technique). I think I will just go with the flow, forget about what his fingers are doing for the moment, and move him through the music he wants to play.

In language teaching this would be focusing on 'communication' as opposed to grammar, pronunciation, etc. 

I suppose in theory, and personal experience, I do say that technique follows intention and not the other way round, that is to say, the intensity with which you 'hear' will usually produce a correspondingly economical and technically efficient manner to achieve that result. In retrospect you might say, ah yes, so that's how I did it, but the clarity with which you hear always precedes that.

Offline green

• PS Silver Member
Re: Focus on form or let it be?
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:18:41 PM
So in teaching there is the external which affects the inner hearing, and the inner which affects the form. Finding that balance I suppose is what this is about.

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 04:37:50 PM

In language teaching this would be focusing on 'communication' as opposed to grammar, pronunciation, etc. 
I'm not sure what that means.  You certainly don't start with grammar unless you're doing the old dead language approach which never yielded fluency.  It is integral, and I imagine that music is integral too.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 06:27:12 AM
If I undetstand your question correctly I think it would be quite a disservice to a student to let it be. Yes, focusing on form will revert him back. I think it has almost stopped me from getting anywhere with music for the last two years. But I still think it needs to be done no matter how painful and how much I sometimes question my teacher. If it's the way to be able to play what i want to play then it must be done. Would be much easier to do when you are 10 than at 40 something.

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:27:09 AM
Maybe find something that he wants to play but which he won't be able to play unless he uses good technique.

Offline nyiregyhazi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 12:15:28 PM

I suppose in theory, and personal experience, I do say that technique follows intention and not the other way round, that is to say, the intensity with which you 'hear' will usually produce a correspondingly economical and technically efficient manner to achieve that result. In retrospect you might say, ah yes, so that's how I did it, but the clarity with which you hear always precedes that.

? Surely everything you wrote previously serves to disprove that myth? This stuff becomes true AFTER you learn good form, not before. What makes you think that if you leave him to use any old technique that listening will fix it later? His habits will only become more strongly wired in and harder to make adjustments to.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert