Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Heintzman Piano Age  (Read 11259 times)

Offline markmisky

• PS Silver Member
Heintzman Piano Age
on: May 27, 2013, 10:44:49 PM
I recently acquired a Heintzmen upright Piano from an relative whose father had bought it new. They said it was an 1893. I am trying to find out its age and possible value but I am having a very hard time determining the serial number. It could be 37821 or 3784. My wife and I both are confused in reading the last number(s). I have posted some pictures of it to Picasa one of which shows the serial number. Would appreciate any help in identifying its age and possible value. We know value is hard to determine from pictures. We are just wanting to know if it's worth a lot or just something we should donate. It does have some chips in it and needs to be tuned up.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109415312443039924431/albums/5882791476896280513

Mark

Offline silverwoodpianos

Re: Heintzman Piano Age
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:32:12 PM

The properties of the Picasa web album have not been set correctly. No one has permission to view the photos.
I signed into Google account and got that message, so I couldn’t view the photos.
Heintzman 37xxx =1911
Heintzman 37xx =1884
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline markmisky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 03:09:55 PM
Hi Dan,
   I am sorry about that. It was set for anyone with the link. It is now set as Public so you should be able to see them. I am most interested in what the serial number is. It is that old fashion script and the last character could be a 4 or a 21.
   The piano has been in the family since new and was supposedly bought new in 1893 but you know how memories fade. Based on your reply, either way it is not an 1893. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 07:11:46 PM
This is not a Heintzman product but a Gerhard Heintzman. Gerhard, born in 1845 was the nephew of Theodore Heintzman the founder of the Heintzman Company of Canada.

Not much is known about Gerhard even by the remaining Heintzman family members that I know.
He was originally a cabinet maker that crossed over to making pianos. This is why much of his cabinet work has a high degree of craftsmanship and detail.

Several important patents were granted to Gerhard from 1882-1900.  From the period of 1886-1890 there was a company called the Lansdowne Piano Company that involved many of the big players in the early Canadian piano market; Gerhard Heintzman, Albert and Samuel Nordheimer, (Nordheimer Piano Co.) Tom Mason and Vincent Risch (Mason & Risch Piano Co.) and Octavius Newcombe (Newcombe Piano Co.) So the Lansdowne instrument had quite the pedigree.

Close to forty thousand instruments were produced by Gerhard before his death in 1926. His uncle over the Heintzman piano Co. purchased the assets and ran the name until 1928.

Sometimes writings in copperplate are difficult to read. The Gerhard Heintzman shown in the photo set is serial number 3784 and has a build date of mid-1893.  

This instrument is built in an open pin block style with a ¾ plate assembly; full 7.3 octave keyboard, two pedal set.

This one has had some restorative work completed. The copper bass string set looks recent and so does the treble wire. A new hammer set and damper felt plates can be seen. Not shown is the keyboard and therefore not possible to determine if the original ivory and ebony is still intact.
The cabinet is the typical style found in instrument of the Victorian age; two inset filigreed panels on the front board, and the detailed front leg with the piano stool all in mahogany or walnut. I have seen both woods cut in this style.

The stool that is painted white appears to have a broken stem so it does not operate correctly or perhaps it is screwed down all the way.

Difficult to set a value for this type of instrument; some will see value in this one and others will not. For the most part the sentimental and family history of purchasing this instrument and 120 years later having it with the original owners family carries more value than the financial values.  Usually at this point in time most of the vintage uprights have seen multiple owners.

I would not discard this one, but hire a local technician to inspect the instrument for present mechanical condition and then local market value.  Send me an email with me your location in Canada and I might have a colleague in your neighbourhood.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert