Piano Forum

Topic: Does the currency exchange do this?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Does the currency exchange do this?
on: May 29, 2013, 10:51:03 PM
I have a lot of quarters and pennies and nickels and dimes in my piggy bank and I wanna exchange that for some dollar bills.

Does the currency exchange do that?

And...  Does your account close if you run out of money on your debit card?  

Dude after that tailor, I'll have 22 cents left...  My mom was like, 'dude if you run out of money, your account will close'
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Does the currency exchange do this?
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 02:11:46 AM
It shouldn't close if you put some in at some point in the next few weeks (or possibly months).

Here, most banks have coin counting machines, so just turn up to a branch and ask.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 02:47:43 AM
Yes, they'll take whatever money and count it, add it to your account, etc.  

They won't close your account.  They'd lose a customer (their income). They'll charge you an overdraft fee.  Although if you have a monthly fee, you're already overdrawn and charged.  

Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:24:37 AM
Does your account close if you run out of money on your debit card?

Not likely. They'll continue to charge you fees and your account will not just have no money, it will have a negative balance (as in you owe the bank money), then they'll start charging interest on the money you owe them.

You should either put some money in it, or if you're not going to be able to do that in the near future - close it.

The bank will accept your piggy bank coinage as a deposit.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:35:50 AM
Not likely. They'll continue to charge you fees and your account will not just have no money, it will have a negative balance (as in you owe the bank money), then they'll start charging interest on the money you owe them.

I had an account with a tiny amount in it which I simply forgot about. They did close the account some time after the fess ate up the balnce and then some, and even refunded the by then negative balance.

Curiously, some months later, I got a letter from them telling me my new card was available for pick up at the branch
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline lloyd_cdb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 12:32:31 PM
As long as you use the account occasionally, they'll keep it open. I have $0.09 in one of my savings accounts. I used it once a month for the linked checking account just because I've been too lazy to switch one of my bills to my other bank. That $34 once a month deposit/bill pay is enough to keep it open.
I've been trying to give myself a healthy reminder: https://internetsarcasm.com/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert