Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Ever heard of Cheng-Zong Yin?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline chopinsetude

• PS Silver Member
Ever heard of Cheng-Zong Yin?
on: October 31, 2004, 05:11:40 PM
I was at the Steinway showroom in Manhattan last week (we were on vacation and I wanted to tour the piano spots).  While we were there a pianist I had never heard of walked in off the street and started playing some of the most impressive Rachmaninov I'd ever heard.  The guys name is Cheng-Zong Yin and he is amazing - about 55-years old and has a large repertoire in his head.  He played a Steinway D for about and hour and it pretty much floored me. 

He walked in wearing a black wool overcoat, scarf, gloves and a beret.  Typical fall in New York attire.  He took off his gloves and beret, layed them on the piano, and just started playing.  I walked upstairs to the level that overlooks the main room and snapped a photo.  I had to turn off my flash so not to distract him.  The photo is a little blurry because of this- sorry:

https://homepage.mac.com/chopinsetude/PhotoAlbum8.html

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ever heard of Cheng-Zong Yin?
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 05:52:14 PM
Check out the following link:

https://www.fourseasonsconcerts.com/Yin.htm
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ever heard of Cheng-Zong Yin?
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 04:32:16 AM
Looks like you witnessed a master in disguise!
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert