Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: wrist pains  (Read 1549 times)

Offline ana

• PS Silver Member
wrist pains
on: November 01, 2004, 11:49:21 PM
sometimes when i play really fast, i get a dull cramping pain from the top of my wrist to the upper tendon in my arm. 

does anybody else experience this and how do you correct it?                                                     

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: wrist pains
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 12:42:37 AM
Exactly what is it that you play that causes it?

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Re: wrist pains
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 05:58:12 AM
Without having all the information......

I've had the same thing happen to me, where I was experiencing pain in the base of my hand, where the wrist meets the hand. In my case, the main problem was that I have an aberrant tendon in my thumb, which means that one of the tendons pulls in a slightly irrelgular angle. Along with overuse, and not-quite-optimal technique, this can be a huge problem. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do (beyond surgery) to fix the tendon, but there are things you can do to deal with it. In my case, a technique overhaul that put less stress on my hand comepletly fixed the problem, along with some certain warm-up stretches and vitamin supplements (vitamin C, B-6, and vitamin E) that my doctor prescribed.

The first thing you should do is consult a competant hand doctor to find out if there is a physical problem, which there was in my case. It may very well be that your problem is something completely different than the one I described. You should also consult your piano teacher (if you have one at the moment) about your problem. I've had a couple students who have developed tendonitis because they were practicing things like Hanon on their own that I did not assign to them. Make sure that if you're doing exercises like this that you're being guided by the teacher.

The only difference is that I was experiencing pain all the time, not just when I was playing fast, so that makes me think it may be something different. Either way, it's most likely a technique problem where you've got too much stress going on. Like faulty damper said, can you be more specific about the problem?

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert