Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Fishing for compliments  (Read 1853 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Fishing for compliments
on: July 01, 2013, 02:03:43 AM
Alright so...

PAUSE:  actually let me ask this first.  Is anyone in or near Providence Rhode Island on July 27th?

Alright now back to business...

You get these types of people everywhere!!!

Mostly on YouTube comments, or yahoo answers, and even...  Pianostreet!  Yes, Pianostreet is not protected from these losers!

So anyways, this is what they're like...

So let's say you're watching flight of the bumblebee or something right?  And there's always this one douchebag who's like.  'wow she's pretty good.  I can play it and I'm 14!  I've only been playing for 9 months.  But I didn't have a teacher until 80 days ago and I haven't started playing seriously until 76 days ago, and that's when I started seriously.  About 3 hours a day.  I learned this piece in 20 days.  No but yeah, this person plays it way faster than me.  Man this is difficult...  Oh, did I mention that I'm only 14?'

SHUT UP!!!  Nobody freaking cares you stupid punk!!!  Stop fishing for compliments!

Or on Yahoo answers or something, the title of the thread like...  'how can a 14 year old learn how to play La Campanella?'

This immediately pisses me off... >:(. And then you read it, and it's like.

Hi...  I wanna learn La Campanella.  I've only Been playing for 4 months and I am 14 years old.  My teacher says that I learn fast and I'm very good.  Better than most people.  Can I do it?

Now this is where I rip him to shreds.  I don't hold back, I will tear you apart!!!

Or you know what's even worse!  Them trying to give advice!!!

'hey, I can play this and I'm 14 years old!  I learned it in three days!  This is how you do it!'

Ugh...  

Or when people go on Facebook and these girls post pictures of themselves and they're like, 'I'm ugly'.

Then why the hell would you post it on Facebook you stupid shmuck!  You know what?  Actually you are ugly!  All of your pictures are ugly, your personality is ugly, everything about you is ugly!

Gah! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fishing for compliments
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:08:24 AM
You are probably too young to remember this rubbish, it may serve as a good thing to post on their facebook photos.

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 02:13:31 AM
They're 14 for a reason.

What annoys me more is the countless of people who on youtube say things like:

"Omg that's so good, I'll never become so good at the piano like you."

"Only Asians can do this."

"I'll never be that good."

"Level: Asian."

"Chuck Norris skills."

"Why don't I have your skills?"

"Asian skills."

"You're so talented! I'll never be that good."

The answer, simpletons (speaking to the youtube commentators), is: you don't practise enough, you lack the dedication and you simply can't get over your own weaknesses because you don't want to put the effort and time to develop this so called talent/being Asian that you like to speak so much about.

You are probably too young to remember this rubbish, it may serve as a good thing to post on their facebook photos.

;D ;D

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 02:18:02 AM
I'm old enough to remember that there were idiots before there was an internet. Much harder to switch off, too, at least legally.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 02:21:17 AM
They're 14 for a reason.

What annoys me more is the countless of people who on youtube say things like:

"Omg that's so good, I'll never become so good at the piano like you."

"Only Asians can do this."

"I'll never be that good."

"Level: Asian."

"Chuck Norris skills."

"Why don't I have your skills?"

"Asian skills."

"You're so talented! I'll never be that good."

The answer, simpletons (speaking to the youtube commentators), is: you don't practise enough, you lack the dedication and you simply can't get over your own weaknesses because you don't want to put the effort and time to develop this so called talent/being Asian that you like to speak so much about.

;D ;D

Lol I like how you didn't say the more ugh...  Inappropriate ones... ::)

Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:10:47 AM
HAHAHA! Aaah, I remember that song... Sweet memories...
Music really sucked back in the days, didn't it?
Well, not way back in the days, but you know...

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 12:47:54 PM
I'm 47. I cannot play La Campanella for my life, OK? As a matter of fact, I haven't considered learning it this year either, nor the next ... later, maybe. (In my next life?)

The only thing I can boast about here is that I actually know a person who can play it so well that he gets standing ovations for it. NOW ADMIRE ME, please.

;D

Sorry, the last thing was a joke.

Well, a quarter of a century ago I actually took a master of science degree in applied physics and electrical engineering. It was considered one of the hardest thing you could study at all. And I did it! Whoooah!

... well, it was not a painless experience, so to speak. In fact, I was almost giving up several times. I failed so many times, and I was not proud of my exam at all. And all the time I was surrounded by all these schmucks you mention. No, they were not 14, they were 10 years older, but let's say that their mental maturity was sometimes a bit behind. The Internet was almost not existing in those days, so you got it right up in your face instead:

- so, you got 0 points in the Function Theory course? How on earth does anyone get ZERO points on that one?? If I did that, I would consider myself an idiot.

- so, you are doing the exam on Mechanics AGAIN? Ha ha ha, when I did that, I swear I never opened the book until 3 days before the exam. I read casually for 2 days and then I went there and scored full.

- I think the exams at this school are so easy; they are almost too easy to be from a real Institute of Technology. I have never got anything but highest and second highest grade.

- so, you registered at the employment office? What for??? Personally I think it's better getting a job instead ...

And I can assure you, sadly, that all the examples above are totally authentic and they felt rather painful. In those days, when I was a sweet and unsecure little lady, I got really hurt by those comments. Today, when I am much fatter, tougher and older, I look like this  ::)

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert