Piano Forum

Topic: Acoustics and new piano!!!  (Read 2391 times)

Offline justharmony

• PS Silver Member
Acoustics and new piano!!!
on: July 01, 2013, 03:55:57 AM
I am thrilled to be writing this post.  I have yearned after a grand piano since I began playing at age 7, and now I may have the opportunity to finally own one (hope to close on a house at the end of a the month!).

Here's the deal, though - what will be the music room is a smallish room (at least, for a grand - at roughly 13 x 16 with 10 foot ceiling) that has a tile floor, with open passageway to the dining area/kitchen (also hard flooring).  It may be that a true grand is too much for this room (the other option would be a carpeted very large basement family room - 13 x 26 or something with 8 foot ceiling) - but hey, this is my piano - I'd love for it to be front and center!!!).  So, I'm looking for advice on how to optimize the acoustics here - both with piano type and with the room.  Or would I be better off just giving in and making the music room the basement?

The reason I want a grand is not for the huge sound (which, actually, could be a hinderence in this room) but for the mechanics and what I could do with a grand that I can't with my upright (though I love my upright).  I will say, though, that I do love the sound of a good grand in the right space - who doesn't?  It is SOOO satisfying.  But this would not be that space I think.

Thoughts?  Help?  Direction?   Suggestions?

Anything's good.  Thanks.

JH

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Acoustics and new piano!!!
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:06:33 PM
The room isn't necessarily too small, but that tile floor will be a killer.  Were it mine to do, though, I'd go with the room (the dimensions are good), but put a nice rug (I hate wall to wall, but a nice big rug) on the floor.  I'd probably also put some sort of acoustical treatment on the wall opposite the entrance to the dining area/kitchen area, and at least part of one of the two side walls.

Then I would go look at a medium size grand -- in the Steinway line, it would be an M, and other makes have similar size instruments.  I had an M for some years in a room about that size, and with the lid closed it was just fine.
Ian

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: Acoustics and new piano!!!
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 08:54:47 PM
The 10 ft ceiling helps. My living room is a bit larger than the piano room you mention ( 20x15 ft. roughly) with hard wood floor, solid ceilings ( 9 ft) and solid walls. A tapestry to the side of the piano helps and some acoustic stucco all around and I can play with the top up on my 5''11" grand with some furniture in the room, as long as I don't project it towards the near wall but out into the room. A throw rug helps too.

My teacher years ago had a small Steinway S in her living room. Very small room with full carpet ( in red against the black Steinway was stunning). That room was maybe 11 or 12 x 13 or so. She never lifted the top, I was dieing to try that !  The piano had nice tone in there. She had heavy drapes on the windows and that full carpet, that's it.

You have room for something under 6 ft. I feel confident in saying, with no problem, if you dress the room up a bit. A piano 5'6" -5'10" should work out great for you. FWIW, I like M's too ! But Estonia and others make nice pianos in that size range too.

Grand pianos do not belong in basement rooms. I don't care how well prepped the room is.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert