Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: 1910-1920 Mehlin & Sons Vertical Grand  (Read 5845 times)

Offline msherman

• PS Silver Member
1910-1920 Mehlin & Sons Vertical Grand
on: July 11, 2013, 07:11:21 PM
Hello. I was just given an early 1900's Paul G Mehlin &

Sons Vertical Grand Piano.

I'm looking into restoring this piano. However I have a

couple questions I'm hoping y'all can answer.

1 Is it worth restoring professionally? I plan on using the piano for personal enjoyment.

2 how hard is it to find parts?  The piano has one broken hammer, all other mechanisms function.

3 How much could it be worth? I know its a Sheraton style 3.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Re: 1910-1920 Mehlin & Sons Vertical Grand
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:13:16 PM
In a nutshell the old piano market is just plain lousy with some top name grand piano exceptions. The bottom line then becomes what it is worth to you and you alone.

I'm sure a decent technician could come up with a hammer for you.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline silverwoodpianos

Re: 1910-1920 Mehlin & Sons Vertical Grand
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:27:39 PM

Answers
1 Only a technician that can view the instrument on site can determine if this is a candidate for restoration.

2. Parts are easily obtained by the technician you hire to complete number one.

3. Same as number one.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert