Piano Forum

Topic: FABER Method : Pros and Cons  (Read 18957 times)

Offline dinulip

• PS Silver Member
FABER Method : Pros and Cons
on: July 18, 2013, 04:16:43 AM
I know that Faber's Piano Adventures is the big craze right now -- but, for some reason, I dislike to work with this method.  Because there are several books to use at the same time, I find it confusing - and annoying - to use.  I feel that it is somewhat 'overproduced' and, as a result, I find myself returning more and more often to other more 'user-friendly' and just as effective methods.

What do you think of Piano Adventures?  If you know it (and I bet you all do!) , do you use it a lot, only once in a while, or not at all? 

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Re: FABER Method : Pros and Cons
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:39:09 AM
I know that Faber's Piano Adventures is the big craze right now -- but, for some reason, I dislike to work with this method.  Because there are several books to use at the same time, I find it confusing - and annoying - to use.  I feel that it is somewhat 'overproduced' and, as a result, I find myself returning more and more often to other more 'user-friendly' and just as effective methods.

What do you think of Piano Adventures?  If you know it (and I bet you all do!) , do you use it a lot, only once in a while, or not at all? 

IF i use a method book, i tend to use bastien at the moment. However, I don't follow it straight through, page to page. I pick and choose what I want, and teach specific things that may not have been James Bastien's intention for the particular step page I'm using.

Piano adventures was recommended to me ages back, and on sight I really liked it.. but its kind of slipped away. I like to get away from the method books as soon as possible anyway (or at least just pick and choose bits from different ones as appropriate.

Offline rembetissa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:28:21 PM
I quite like the Faber books, and it's my go-to method when I get a new beginner student. I only assign the Lesson Book. I do have a set of the Performance Books (one of each level) that I loan out for supplementing.

The main problem I've found is that this method, at the beginning levels anyway, focus too much on C position for the right hand. It has many more songs that require a different position than the other method books I've tried in the past (Alfred, Bastien), but still not enough for my taste. So, I try to make a big deal that 1 does not necessarily always = C, etc. My students often request to learn the melodies of their favorite songs, so I'll write them down using non-C position for extra practice. :)

Offline lilla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:29:59 PM
What method are you comparing Faber PA to? When you say annoying, what is the other method that you find less annoying?  In my teaching, I use primarily PA, but I also use Hal Leonard, Alfred Premier, Succeeding at the Piano, and Noona.  I especially like Noona, but students sometimes find it moves too fast.  I occasionally use Music Tree, or Bastien. For advanced students, we sometimes move on to Michael Aaron or Kasschau after PA5.  To be honest, assuming the student's needs are being met with the course material, sometimes the choice comes down to what's in my inventory.  I purchase music at a discount whenever possible so I'll use what's on my shelf if I can.  Sometimes a student needs something special - one autistic student responded better to Bastien because the notation is larger on the page.  Or student's with particular note-reading issues, sometimes respond better to Music Tree interval reading.  So there are many considerations.  But I am interested in hearing what methods you are looking at.

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:18:08 PM
I know what you mean - so many books-
I like it because they really appeal to kids.

I prefer Michael Aaron's method book - but only for serious practicers.

Offline mgladde

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:50:58 PM
I've never been a fan of Piano Adventures either.  Of course Alfred and Bastien are good solid alternatives.  Frances Clark The Music Tree should also be considered.  It is getting amazing reviews from academic pedagogues, and I like it. 

https://www.methodbooks.com/store/FrancesClark/index.htm

Of course any method should probably be taught with supplemental materials tailored to the student's needs...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert