Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's op64/no2 waltz (evenness in Piu Mosso section)  (Read 5371 times)

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's op64/no2 waltz (evenness in Piu Mosso section)
on: November 04, 2004, 04:44:23 AM
Hey all, I've been working on chopin - op.64 no.2 for a while now and I have all the notes memorized and can play through it all fairly well. The problem I'm having is with the evenness in:
1) the "flow" and evenness of the timing for each note after the other.
2) keeping the volume of each note relatively quiet and even with the fast moving left hand especially.

I can handle the ascending chromatic sequence well, it's mostly just the 454321 parts and the quick ascending notes in measures 40-41 that I'm having trouble keeping even.

are there any exercises or techniques I can implement into my practice to smooth out this section?

Offline Sketchee

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's op64/no2 waltz (evenness in Piu Mosso section)
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 11:19:45 PM
I love this waltz.  My professor says "everyone plays that one!" Well they should because it's pretty cool.   :) I've played it since high school.

Anyway, it sounds like your problem is mostly in the right hand from the way you describe it.  Practice this hand under tempo without pedal a few different ways stacatto, shifting accents, accenting each beat and in dotted rhythms. I find playing in stacatto makes it easier to hear any unevenness and takes a bit more motion.

Since the first time in the piu mosso section there is a decrescendo each measure, accent the first note.  In the left hand, the bass note should be more pronounced and the inner voices quiet.  The second time through marked pp I like to have the bassline as a melody;  each of the bottom notes should sound connected through careful pedaling.  My edition has a phrase mark over the entire second half of each piu mosso section; the right hand should be very even and quiet the second time.  Hope that helps
Sketchee
https://www.sketchee.com [Paintings. Music.]

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's op64/no2 waltz (evenness in Piu Mosso section)
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 03:50:30 AM
thanks Sketchee, I'm going to try what you suggested this week.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert