Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Is starch healthy?  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Is starch healthy?
on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:43 PM
Corn, rice, potatoes.  Starch.

We're not supposed to eat carbs.  What about about starch?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Is starch healthy?
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:33 PM
Starch is a carb.

If we avoided all the things we weren't supposed to eat, we'd starve. And life would be rather dull.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:30:08 AM
But it's a complex carb, isn't it?

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:39:43 AM
Indeed it is.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:45:07 AM
Starch is a carb.

If we avoided all the things we weren't supposed to eat, we'd starve. And life would be rather dull.
Furthermore, it can be statistically proven that everyone who has eaten a starch has died within 150 years of doing so.  Therefore...
Ian

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 07:14:44 AM
My granddad used to stiffen his collars with starch and it never did him any harm.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:25:38 PM
The question as stated is impossible to answer. Is there such a thing as unhealthy starch? What exactly do you want to know? Have you not heard of the food pyramid? 

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 12:43:51 AM
Sugar is bad.

Carbs turns turn into sugar, so carbs are bad.

Starch is a complex carb and eventually turns into sugar.  It just takes longer.  So is it bad?

And I saw "some guy" on a TED talk saying how miraculous starch is.  If everyone only ate starch all their health issues would go away.

Offline ale_ius

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 03:14:13 AM
Bob yes. Ted no.

-Alee Marie.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 03:17:12 PM
Sugar is bad.

Carbs turns turn into sugar, so carbs are bad.

Starch is a complex carb and eventually turns into sugar.  It just takes longer.  So is it bad?

And I saw "some guy" on a TED talk saying how miraculous starch is.  If everyone only ate starch all their health issues would go away.

My issue is not with starch or sugar but your use of English.

Certain adjectives are meant to describe states of being. Other adjectives are meant to modify inanimate objects. I live in a blue house. I have a healthy dog.

People from all over the world read this forum. I think we have (especially college grads and educators) an obligation to present our language correctly.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 08:41:15 PM
Explain it to me.  The "starch is bad" sentence?  Bad is bad?

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 11:12:36 PM
The correct question should read, is eating starch bad for your health? Or, is starch a healthy ingredient in your diet? Starch itself doesn't change, one day bad one day good.

If you form the question correctly then we can discuss possible answers.

I personally like my mashed potatoes, especially with an ear of corn on a plate with fried chicken. Just not three times a day or all week long.

The answer is in sensible eating and eating something different every day.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 11:25:51 PM
I think it's implied.  Like imperative you.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 12:15:11 AM
Sugar be bad.

There.  Corrected.  For the non-English speakers.

English is a complex and confusing language.  Easy for even native speakers to get confused once in a while. 

I was being informal above, using 'sugar is bad.'  Sugar be bad is more grammatically correct and formal.  Sometimes you hear this formal nature in urban areas or in the southern portion of the United States.  Children also have a natural grasp of it, but it gets lost as they grow up and get corrupted in the word.  The short reasoning for the use of be vs. is -- Bees buzz.  Bees tend honey which is sugar.  Therefore, be.  It's hard to argue with logic like that.  If it doesn't make sense, don't worry.  Just stick with is.  It's idiomatic.  Hope that helps.

I won't even go into why it's bad instead of well.  Sugar is inherently evil in this sentence, actually representing, incarnating evilnessness.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 02:59:42 PM
Sugar be bad.

There.  Corrected.  For the non-English speakers.

English is a complex and confusing language.  Easy for even native speakers to get confused once in a while. 

I was being informal above, using 'sugar is bad.'  Sugar be bad is more grammatically correct and formal.  Sometimes you hear this formal nature in urban areas or in the southern portion of the United States.  Children also have a natural grasp of it, but it gets lost as they grow up and get corrupted in the word.  The short reasoning for the use of be vs. is -- Bees buzz.  Bees tend honey which is sugar.  Therefore, be.  It's hard to argue with logic like that.  If it doesn't make sense, don't worry.  Just stick with is.  It's idiomatic.  Hope that helps.

I won't even go into why it's bad instead of well.  Sugar is inherently evil in this sentence, actually representing, incarnating evilnessness.

Don't dig yourself a hole. Those idiomatic expressions can hinder your future advancement. "Waffle House English"  is not generally understood. Two different friends of mine couldn't pass the bar because their English wasn't good enough. And they were educated in the best schools. My English is not that red hot either. I ran into a stone wall when I first started to learn French. I couldn't conjugate English correctly so I couldn't understand what the equivalent was in French.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert