Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Making piano software  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Gostoso

• PS Silver Member
Making piano software
on: February 23, 2003, 04:09:46 PM
Hi everybody, I am developing sight reading software for the piano/keyboard and I have a question about it. My software generates single notes, intervals and chords for the left and the right hand, BUT it is possible that those notes don't sound NICE together at all. Is there a rule (theory) that explains the harmony between chords and intervals. So would a Major G chord in the right hand sound well with a for example Major F chord in the left hand? Why? or Why not?
Hope anyone can explain it to me well enough so I can translate into programming code  :) Thanks!

Offline davy10tunes

• PS Silver Member
Re: Making piano software
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 05:05:00 PM
Gostoso

There are rules about harmony.You want your notes to form a consonant (nice) harmony, rather than a dissonant harmony.An F major chord will not sound good with a G major chord because it is not part of the G major scale.To find out what all the chords are in a certain key, you need to build a triad on every note of the scale.I'll give you an example using the G major scale:
There are 7 notes in the scale, G to Fsharp, a chord can be built on each of these notes and they are numbered 1 to 7(in harmony roman numerals are used)
chord No.                      I   II   III   IV   V   VI   VII
notes of the scale:       G   A    B     C   D   E     F sharp(*)

now we make triads:    B  C    D     E   F*  G     A
to reveal the chords     D  E    F*    G   A    B    C
of the particular key
So now we know what chords belong to G major.
Chord I G maj, II a minor, III B maj etc.
However, this does not mean that because 2 chords belong to the same key, they can be played simultaneously.(you can use the above rule to make chord progressions ) If you want bitonal harmony like ravel for example, you can combine some chords of 2 scales a 3rd apart, for example C major and E flat major/minor, but It's been so long that I studied this stuff, I can't remember the rules, the best thing I can suggest is to read a book on harmony, which will explain it a lot better than I can.

David  
DAVROS

Offline davy10tunes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 05:08:39 PM
Sorry the chord numbers and notes didn't line up.They did when I wrote it but moved when I posted it, but you can still understand it I hope. :-/

David
DAVROS

Offline Gostoso

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 12:39:30 AM
Hi David, thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I have a book in front of my which tells me already that I is associated with a Major chord, II with a Minor, III with a Minor, IV with a Major, V with a Major, VI with a Minor and VII with a Diminished Chord. My program already generates chords that 'belong' to a certain key, I find it really cool.. But unfortunately the harmony is sometimes nowhere to be found, so that is definitely the main problem. I will try to find some more information on harmony, but thanks anyway.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert