Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Going to Conservatory...  (Read 1734 times)

Offline h_chopin148

• PS Silver Member
Going to Conservatory...
on: August 29, 2013, 02:46:59 AM
So if I'm 13 and I currently practice about 2 hours a day and my repertoire is down below, could I have a good chance at getting into a music school like Juilliard, NEC, Oberlin, Curtis etc. and if not what could I do to help my chances?
Debussy Pour le Piano
Chopin Etude 10/5, 10/9
Beethoven Sonata 2/2, 10/3
Bach P&F no. 7 WTC 1
Ligeti Musica Ricercata 10

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Re: Going to Conservatory...
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:56:29 PM
So if I'm 13 and I currently practice about 2 hours a day and my repertoire is down below, could I have a good chance at getting into a music school like Juilliard, NEC, Oberlin, Curtis etc. and if not what could I do to help my chances?

At the end of the day, it will finally boil down to whether the the screening faculty of the school you are applying to is impressed not so much on your technical skills, though having excellent piano skills is important, but rather at your potential to be an artist.  Does your playing have soul? does it sing? are you able to transmit the mood and emotion of the piece effectively?  I do not really know how the screening faculty can feel these abstractions, but they seem to be able from the viewpoint of a pianist.

It is not really so much on the number of hours you practice each day, though for one who has talent, the more hours of practice boosts confidence and skill .... but rather the quality of the practice and the guidance you get from your teacher. Poor guidance may be disastrous for your chances.

There are also technical problems you should surmount in order to get invited to a live audition.  In the schools you mentioned, they would like you to initially submit a video of the audition pieces they require.  You should make sure that the video/audio you send should be of GOOD quality and should reflect as closely as possible how you played the pieces... absolutely no editing!  Though, I am sure they will be able to separate the technical glitches from the video you sent and hear the real you playing ... a poorly made video may just cause irritation on the screeners and goodbye to your chances of a live audition.   

You should get used to playing in a big hall ... like a 300 to up to 1,000 seater and be able to project the sound well with the hall empty.  This will be crucial as most of the auditions are in these large halls. It goes to say you must have good control of your fears and anxieties being alone in the stage with the screening faculty at the balcony a bit far away.  Not to worry about the piano, in most cases the pianos for audition purposes are good and excellently maintained.

You can play "simple" pieces but must make sure to play them really well.  However if you choose really difficult pieces and also play them very well ... then you have a big edge.  The schools will just give you general guidelines as to the pieces they would want you to play .... so your choice of pieces to a certain extent will reflect your skill level and artistry.

MY son who succeeded to be accepted in most of the schools he applied to during live auditions last February 2013 chose a somewhat difficult program which you might want to look into. He prepared a longer program to suit the slight differences in the requirement of the different schools.

1.  Beethoven Sonata No. 23, Op. 57 "Appassionata" -  he was ready with any movement
2.  Chopin - "Winter Wind" etude
3.  Liszt - Paganini Etude No. 6
4.  Bartok- Two Rumanian Danses Op. 8a
5.  Chopin - Scherzo No.3 in C sharp minor, Op. 39
6.  Chopin - Nocturne Op 9 No 1 in B flat Minor
7.  Bach - Prelude & Fugue No. 23 in B Major, BWV 892

I hope this helps .... GOOD LUCK!! :)

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline h_chopin148

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 03:05:41 PM
Thanks a lot for all of this :) My teacher has mentioned most of these things. We are currently working on me projecting my sound more. I've played in large halls a few times and I have learned that you really need to change your style of playing based on the acoustics of the hall.
Debussy Pour le Piano
Chopin Etude 10/5, 10/9
Bach P&F no. 7 WTC 1

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 03:45:02 PM
You should also ask yourself, why you desire to attend such high-profile schools.  Is it a core necessity for you?  Or are you just seeking quality education?  If so there are many other options for schools.  Also consider the school culture: you are going to spend several years of your life there, so make sure it is the kind of culture that you can get along with.  IMO, this aspect is one that is far too often overlooked when seeking out a school.  College isn't all about academics, you have to interact with people while you are there as well. 

One of my past teachers was a Juilliard grad.  When she talked about her schooling, the focus was more about the individual teachers and lessons she had, as opposed to "Juilliard" itself. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline h_chopin148

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 10:15:54 PM
You should also ask yourself, why you desire to attend such high-profile schools.  Is it a core necessity for you?  Or are you just seeking quality education?  If so there are many other options for schools.  Also consider the school culture: you are going to spend several years of your life there, so make sure it is the kind of culture that you can get along with.  IMO, this aspect is one that is far too often overlooked when seeking out a school.  College isn't all about academics, you have to interact with people while you are there as well. 

One of my past teachers was a Juilliard grad.  When she talked about her schooling, the focus was more about the individual teachers and lessons she had, as opposed to "Juilliard" itself. 

My top choice is NEC since I am currently a student at the prep school there and I enjoy it very much.
Debussy Pour le Piano
Chopin Etude 10/5, 10/9
Bach P&F no. 7 WTC 1

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:14:24 PM

This was a very fine post. Anyone thinking about going to conservatory would do well to read this.

Offline avguste

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:28:43 PM
One thing nobody has mentioned.

is your goal to be a concert pianist? Perform all around the country and possibly the world? If yes,
then the schools you mentioned are a good choice for you to get trained and gain experience.
Avguste Antonov
Pianiste Concertiste
Professeur de Piano | Conservatoire Intercommunal de Chateaubriant
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert