Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude op. 25 no. 8  (Read 4627 times)

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude op. 25 no. 8
on: August 30, 2013, 08:28:46 PM
One of the most difficult and badass of all the Chopets! Stephen Hough thinks it's probably the hardest one.

Offline can

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude op. 25 no. 8
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 01:25:08 PM
Congratulations! A very beutiful performance with many original ideas. Only thing is that, I know its difficult as hell when having third or sixths, if there were a more singable melodic line it would be wonderful. I mean, just try to imagine how you would sing every interval so the music won't be interrupted even though you take a lot of time between two notes.(maybe a longer touch at the last note before you take time would help?) It was a joy to listen your beautiful reading... :)
“Perfection itself is imperfection.”<br />Vladimir Horowitz

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 12:31:05 PM
I mean, just try to imagine how you would sing every interval so the music won't be interrupted even though you take a lot of time between two notes.

I've been trying to understand what you meant by this exactly but without much success. Do you think you could point me in the direction of a better recording of it so that I could hear what you mean?

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:06:02 PM
i think he means he would like the notes to be more connected.

Offline can

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 01:57:58 PM
I was basically telling that the musical ideas (every slur we may say) while being beautiful in itself should be somehow related. It is not a question of legato but a question of how you think every slur. Emil Gilels does it wonderfully. I don't know if he recorded this etude but the Brahms Paganini Variations he plays. The first variation is somehow similar in manner. (slur in every bar then a skip and so). You may check how he unifies all those. I am sure it will be even better very soon ;) (Of course he doesn't take much time between the bars but still the main idea is the same. Here taking time is necessary but the manner and the main idea should stay the same.)

Offline can

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:01:39 PM
By the way, to me there is no need to accent the basses that clearly. It may be smoother with the same feeling of the pulse but this is just an opinion.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:19 PM
hello ....

you are indeed a wonderful piano performer giving life to this etude is
quite a challenge! enjoyed it!
member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline andd845

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 03:31:23 PM
I enjoyed this very much. Well done.

Offline thesixthsensemusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 02:14:46 AM
Amazing! There's no technical flaws whatsoever, and you did not make it too sentimental either. Just a solid performance. It reminds me a bit of Nikita Magaloff perhaps...

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:07:20 PM
Cheeky bump no. 1!  ;)

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 10:22:03 AM
the performance itself sounds cheeky : D in a good way, of course

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 02:41:34 PM
It's rather a cheeky little study! It sounds easy but is really quite murderous.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 10:04:37 PM
you should play this:

i would love to hear your interpretation

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 12:45:15 AM
you should play this:

i would love to hear your interpretation

I second this request! Haha
Only if you have the time and want to of course!
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 01:07:27 AM
ye, i honestly think the piece suits you very well. there are so many delicious details that im sure you will bring out.

Offline awesom_o

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 01:12:15 AM
I've been meaning to begin with Alkan. I'm not sure this would be my starting point.

My friend Ed plays it extremely well, however. Have you seen his video?

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 01:22:02 AM
I've been meaning to begin with Alkan. I'm not sure this would be my starting point.

My friend Ed plays it extremely well, however. Have you seen his video?

Wow he really does, that was extremely impressive for anyone especially someone still a student!

I wouldn't start with that for alkan. I learned 1 of op.35 and 1 of the op.12 improvs (b minor one) it mostly helped with understanding his style and writing. I bet you can guess which op.35 haha! And I also did the barcarolle, none of these up to a performance level. But up to full tempo. I should probably do one more before doing the op.39 no.11 but I havnt got the time...

I agree with swaggy boy, I would love to hear you play that on of alkan. You have an amazing attention to detail and would bring out things we previously have not heard! 

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 01:23:31 AM
dang, niga, you got pro friends. being able to execute the piece at all is a formidable achievement x. x
i just started listening to alkan and i pretty much love him! nigas r missing out'

sigh im applying to college atm ......... i hope i get in somewhere with praxtice room ; X
out of curiosity whered u go to college awesome_o

edit: the part starting from 3:30 ending at 4:00 on your friend ed's video is prolly my favorite section of the piece, so full of complex energy. but from the renditions ive heard it's almost impossible to get through completely cleanly.. but i have faith in you awesome_o, because everything you play is so clean and clear and deliberate! im sure your perforamnce of this piece, if you are going to do it, will be something unique.

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 01:25:38 AM
dang, niga, you got pro friends. being able to execute the piece at all is a formidable achievement x. x
i just started listening to alkan and i pretty much love him! nigas r missing out

I can't take you seriously, I mean that in the nicest way possible. Something's you post bother me a bit, as we have run into it in the past but I also think you're very funny. I mean it's a classical piano site and "swagmaster420x" is just not a username I would expect!

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 01:30:44 AM
I can't take you seriously, I mean that in the nicest way possible. Something's you post bother me a bit, as we have run into it in the past but I also think you're very funny. I mean it's a classical piano site and "swagmaster420x" is just not a username I would expect!

welp it's because i been part of gaming community for a looong time where the primary spoken language is derp, everything said there is flippant. but im a pretty deep and srs guy, if i do say so myself

edit: https://www.edwardcohen.co.uk/#/biography/4529637488
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang
i still think awesome_o's sound is more distinctive, though. l  o   l

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 01:50:21 AM
so far, i think this is my favorite interpretation:
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert