Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Piano Chords/Guitar Chords  (Read 2393 times)

Offline AnotherPritiFase

• PS Silver Member
Piano Chords/Guitar Chords
on: November 06, 2004, 08:57:37 AM
I need a way to transpose guitar chords to piano chords.
I'm working with someone who plays guitar well, but knows no theory.
All I really know is theory, and practically zilch on piano.
Like literally.
Just the C-major scale.
I've been a flute player for 12 years, but that's not helping me.
Is there a way to take what he's playing on guitar, transpose it to piano, and build on it?
I hope someone can help me.

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Chords/Guitar Chords
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 06:14:48 PM
How you approach this really depends on what you're trying to do, and what kind of music it is. Are you trying to figure out the exact voicings (basically the specific notes he's playing)? Or are you trying to figure out the basic chords he's playing? Also, if you do not know piano, why are you trying to play his music on the piano?

I know plenty of guitar players that are self-taught and don't know theory, but they can usually at least tell you what chords they are playing for the most part. For instance, they could play a C major chord but couldn't tell what notes make up the chord. If the guitar player himself doesn't know the chords then it's going to take a little work no matter what. It'll take sitting down with him and basically trying to transcribe by ear what he's playing as he plays it. If you know theory you should be able to get through it regardless of your piano skills, depending on the difficulty of the music. Perhaps try to find another guitar player or some other third party that knows theory and can tell you exactly what this guitar player is doing. Something like a translator.

I guess what would help more is if you could be more specific about what you're trying to do here, but it doesn't sound like there's an easy solution.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Piano Chords/Guitar Chords
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 01:47:33 AM
I am not sure I understand your question. You do not need to “transpose” a guitar chord to the piano. You just play the chord (whatever it is) in the piano.

Take just the C-major scale as you suggested. The C-major scale is the sequence of notes C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C. You do not need to transpose anything. Just play these notes (in any instrument) and you will have the C-major scale. If you do not know where these notes are on the piano, just look at the group of two black keys. C is the white key to the left of the two black keys, D is the white key in between the two black keys and E is the white key to the right of the two black keys. Then look at the group of three black keys. F is to the left, G and A are in between and B is to the right.

Is that what you are asking? If it is, your best bet is to get a really basic piano book (“Piano for Dummies” is quite good) and go through it. Or ask someone who knows to show you.

Best wishes,
Bernhard
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert