Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: anal retentive band teachers  (Read 2707 times)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
anal retentive band teachers
on: November 07, 2004, 03:54:11 AM
are they???!!!

today my guitar class and I went to perform to/educate a bunch of music teachers about our guitar program.  It went well, but the high school band teachers were giving us condescending, anal looks during the pieces and asked very direct questions throughout.  It wasnt so much the kinds of questions they asked that made me uncomfortable, but the manner in which they asked them.  Many had wide eyes and spoke with piercing clarity so it was hard to focus on the question but rather their caffeine-high physical presence in the room.  so, are band teachers anal about everything??  That's sort of how I am feeling right now...

donjuan

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: anal retentive band teachers
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 04:38:02 AM
 :D Ha!  I've seen more than a few that seem quite military and more like the gym teacher from the Wonder Years.  A lot can be like a drama teacher.  Scary either way!

What'd did they ask?  I doubt many band directors know a whole lot about guitar?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline chozart

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 07:12:47 AM
sorry to hear that, lol

the band teachers I've known have been quite nice..

now the choir & drama teacher at my school is how u described them
but I think I've gotten used it over the years, because she's alright sometimes..

and on the contrary, the band & music teacher for my school knows a lot about guitars.. a very good guitarist actually
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 04:52:40 PM
I have very fond memories of my band teachers  ::).
One was drunk all the time (or just hungover) and another was incredibly unintelligent and rude, and all had quick tempers.
Long story short, yes.
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Spatula

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 06:22:27 PM
My grade 6/7 band teacher was incompetent, rude, arrogant, musically challenged, and stupid.  Needless to say, we came last place in the battle of the bands.

What's sad I think is that there are no strings section, but maybe that's a good thing considering an average 12 year old suks @$$ at the violin without proper training. 

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 07:17:08 PM
What'd did they ask?  I doubt many band directors know a whole lot about guitar?

well, even questions directed to my guitar teacher like "Do you have your students learn from Tabs or notes?" were asked.  and then there was this one guy in a sweater vest and crew cut hairstyle who kept laughing like a machine gun yet had a straight poker face while doing so..It was creepy!!huh-huh-huh-huh-huh-huhhuh-huh-huh-huh-hu-huh!!   

Spatula

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 10:45:51 PM
Sounds like Beavis and Butthead to me. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert