Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Alkan's Scherzo Diabolico  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Sekoul

• PS Silver Member
Alkan's Scherzo Diabolico
on: November 07, 2004, 06:53:35 PM
I just finished rachmaninoff's prelude in C# and i play it pretty decently... well i started the Scherzo and i can play it about twice as slow as it should be for now. Is there any hope of improving my speed or it's just one of those insane pieces that a select few can play? I know the etudes in general have a reputation of being impossible but id like to hear any comments and, if possible, tips on playing this!

ty!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Alkan's Scherzo Diabolico
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 10:55:21 AM
It's highly unlikely that many people have played this piece or any other piece by this composer.  But like most pieces, it can be played well if you practice correctly.  And your current concern is that you want to know if you can play it up to an appropriate tempo.

From looking at the music the required ability are broken octaves, arpeggios, chord tremolos, parallel arpegios, parallel inner notes while holding the melody, and all at a very fast speed.  If you can play the 1st, 2nd, 5th, and 2nd to last page of the music (Billaudot edition) then the rest should be easy.

Offline legend

• PS Silver Member
Re: Alkan's Scherzo Diabolico
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 01:37:41 PM
just gotta say - dont fear alkan!

if you want to try him out - dont be scared - its not THAT hard ;)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert