Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: I HATE EVERYONE!!! AND YOU!! AND YOU!!! AND DON'T THINK I FORGOT ABOUT YOU!!!  (Read 1881 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Everyone calls me stupid because I'm a music major.

So lets say we're talking about Syria or something right?

engineering and physics majors:  Yeah man, what about that fresh Syria?

Me:  Well I thin-

engineering and physics majors:  Shut up you're a freaking music major.

Or lets say I'm introducing myself to new people...

Me:  Yeah man, I'm a music major

douchebag:  Ah so you're a music major?  Do you actually...

Me:  What?

douchebag:  do anything?

engineering and physics majors:  He's a music major because he's not smart.

Me:  ...

everyone:  Oh hey?  what's up?  Wanna grab lunch later?  

me:...

everyone:  Yeah man, that calc test freaking sucked.

My inner me.  Your power level is over 9000!!!

*Smoke begins to shoot out from my ears and my face turns really red*
*Ground begins to crack, the walls begin to shake and books are falling off the book shelves

everyone:  Dude are you alright?  You don't even drink, why the heck do you look all weird?  What the heck is up with this ground?

Me:

GET THE *** OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roommate:  Hey why the heck are you kicking our guests ou-

HEY YOU TOO *** GET THE *** OUT OF MY ROOM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*I begin to throw stuff at them*

GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Sounds like a lot of fun that college thing!  ;D

Offline austinarg

• PS Silver Member
My inner me.  Your power level is over 900!!!

That doesn't sound like a lot, actually.
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” - Thelonious Monk

Offline wwalrus

• PS Silver Member
That doesn't sound like a lot, actually.
LMAO

theholygideons

Just wait until they see you play rach 3..  ;D

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
They're right.  You're an idiot for majoring only in music.  I know, I've been there.  The only person who told me the truth was the director of the music school.  He said that "there are no jobs for someone with a music degree."  He continued that "while you don't need a degree to teach, you still need to have a degree."  What he meant was that even though a music degree is useless for employment, having a degree, any degree, opens opportunities that not having one is unavailable to.

And also, Rach, you're a pussy for letting them talk to you like that.  I mean, you're black.  Black people don't act like pussies.  Were those people white?  If so, then you are totally giving the black stereotype a bad name. ;D

Offline prestoconfuocco

• PS Silver Member
Haydn had an IQ of roughly 160.
Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Mendelssohn - all four had an IQ of roughly 165.
Wagner, Handel and Strauss (Johann the second) had roughly 170.
What you choose to study says nothing of how smart you are. (If it did, you wouldn't see so many dumb people in physics depratments, that are good at memorizing the way to the solution, but can't think for themselves to save their lives - and that's coming from someone who studied both music and physics.)
smart people aren't always passinoate about exact sciences. Quite the contrary - most of history's geniuses were artists.
"If I decide to be an idiot, then I'll be an idiot on my own accord."
- Johann Sebastian Bach.

Offline lousyplayer

• PS Silver Member
I'm an Engineering major...  ;D

• PS Silver Member

And also, Rach, you're a pussy for letting them talk to you like that.  I mean, you're black.  Black people don't act like pussies.  Were those people white?  If so, then you are totally giving the black stereotype a bad name. ;D

Hey what the heck I freaking kicked them out of my room!!!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Hey what the heck I freaking kicked them out of my room!!!
Those ppl had the nerve to say that sh*t while in your own room?  Wow... I'd pregnant dog slap 'em first and then put a food up their ass.  Then kick 'em out.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
hehehhhahhahheheheehehe :) ;) :D ;D  my...my....

REally they talked to you that way???  or was it your insecurities that magnified their statements a hundred times? Many of the music majors I have been talking to here are pretty intelligent fellows compared to the students I have (postgraduate).  That's GOOD you threw them out of your room!! ;D

Perhaps it is a bit different with my son Enzo who has also started his Music major. Though they are officially with the University of Rochester (NY), their school, the Eastman School has a separate campus, many miles away from UR. So he gets to meet only music majors ... perhaps an advantage and also at the same time a disadvantage. BUT I am sure like you .... HE will throw them out of his room!!!

GOOD LUCK to you Rach4ever .... and stand your ground!!!! ;D

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline sv3nno

• PS Silver Member
Live With the Earth, not On it.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
My inner me.  Your power level is over 9000!!!

Are you sure you didn't mishear? Sounds more like it meant your blood pressure.

Oh, and why are you hanging out with the boring people on campus? Engineers? Physics majors? GAH!!  Unthinkable.  ::)
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member

but guess what happened in the final two years in high school? i managed to actually make them apologise to me, and became friends with almost all of them.

so be strong, anything is possible.

You became...

FRIENDS?  with them?!

We would never be friends lol.  enemies for life!

• PS Silver Member

Oh, and why are you hanging out with the boring people on campus? Engineers? Physics majors? GAH!!  Unthinkable.  ::)

I don't fit in anywhere with the musicians unfortunately... :(

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
I don't fit in anywhere with the musicians unfortunately... :(

Why?  Is it because you're the only black guy?  At my school, there were some black musicians but they got along well with most people.  And I did wonder, how to heck does a black guy become a music major?  They obviously weren't poor or grew up in a ghetto so they were privileged somehow.  Did any other blacks accuse them of "actin' white"?

So Rach4, did other ghetto blacks accuse of you acting white?

• PS Silver Member
Why?  Is it because you're the only black guy?  At my school, there were some black musicians but they got along well with most people.  And I did wonder, how to heck does a black guy become a music major?  They obviously weren't poor or grew up in a ghetto so they were privileged somehow.  Did any other blacks accuse them of "actin' white"?

So Rach4, did other ghetto blacks accuse of you acting white?

White people accuse me of acting white!

Black people just say that I act normal.

Buy aaaaaagh I hate being accused of acting white!  What the heck does acting white mean anyways?!?!?!

Losers...

Offline kclee6337

At the university Im at the music majors are actually held in high regard. Its basically the chemical engineering majors and the music majors that people think are smart. But if your a piano major you dont really fit it. We really don't have a group to cling to like the other musicians who hang out with their own section. There are other piano music majors where im at but we dont hang out with eachother because we always seem to be in a competition with each other. A whole lot of bad blood!!!

• PS Silver Member
At the university Im at the music majors are actually held in high regard. Its basically the chemical engineering majors and the music majors that people think are smart. But if your a piano major you dont really fit it. We really don't have a group to cling to like the other musicians who hang out with their own section. There are other piano music majors where im at but we dont hang out with eachother because we always seem to be in a competition with each other. A whole lot of bad blood!!!

Same, I'm the only freshman piano major at my school.  Everyone else is either a senior or graduate.

Well I heard that there was another freshman studying under another teacher, but I haven't met him/her yet.

And I actually know another pianist but he's Jazz, so we're in completely different departments.

So there's 20 people in my studio class, and there's 18 graduate, one senior, and one freshman (me).  17 girls and three guys.  18 Asians 1 White person, and one black person (me).

And unlike all the other majors, our practice rooms are ALWAYS occupied!!!  All day every day what the heck?!?!?!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Is it a school just for graduate students?  Isn't the school kind of putting themselves in a bad position if they don't have incoming/outgoing classes each year?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
Haydn had an IQ of roughly 160.
Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Mendelssohn - all four had an IQ of roughly 165.
Wagner, Handel and Strauss (Johann the second) had roughly 170.

I have heard this before, but  Im quite sure the modern day IQ score wasn't around in Bach's day. How is this figure derived?

"War is terrorism by the rich and terrorism is war by the poor." Peter Ustinov

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
You have to take into account the standard pitch reference was maybe around 415.  Then it all makes sense if you just don't think about it.  Plus, they were mean I think. ::)
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

• PS Silver Member
IQ tests are stupid. >:(

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
IQ tests are stupid. >:(

IQ tests have validity as long as you know how to interpret them.  Unfortunately, only cognitive scientists who specialize in it know how.  The rest say things like "IQ tests are stupid."
 What pisses me off are psychologists who have no expertise in intelligence and give opinions both for and against it.  Idiots with PhDs. ::)

Offline iancollett6

• PS Silver Member
IQ tests have validity as long as you know how to interpret them.  Unfortunately, only cognitive scientists who specialize in it know how.  The rest say things like "IQ tests are stupid."
 What pisses me off are psychologists who have no expertise in intelligence and give opinions both for and against it.  Idiots with PhDs. ::)

What do you mean by "interpreting" the IQ score?  A numeric value is given up to 200 then you reference that to the bell curve.

Offline emill

• PS Silver Member
White people accuse me of acting white!
Black people just say that I act normal.
Buy aaaaaagh I hate being accused of acting white!  What the heck does acting white mean anyways?!?!?!     Losers...     

It is unfortunate that generalizations form part of many of our preconceived ideas about races like the Germans, Japanese and Chinese have superiority in the math sciences, blacks in boxing and the physical sports and whites in arts & music ... and many more unsubstantiated observations and anecdotes. 

Now if they accuse you of "acting white" in the context of music would that be derogatory?  Here in our country it might be construed as a positive comment as most here have been brainwashed by centuries of colonization that the "whites" are superior to the colored in practically all matters including the arts and music.... what we refer to as the "colonial mentality".

If the root meaning of "acting white" is derogatory in American culture ... then it is best to ignore it as it will just waste your energies, especially your mental energy. Just focus on making yourself a better pianist, rather than being affected by "what they say".  Afterall .....  we all came from Africa!!! :)

member on behalf of my son, Lorenzo

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
What do you mean by "interpreting" the IQ score?  A numeric value is given up to 200 then you reference that to the bell curve.
What you're saying is comparison, not interpretation.  Numbers can be compared and anyone can do that, but interpretation requires specific knowledge in the field that most people don't have.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert