Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Is it just me, or could this be DETRIMENTAL to students learning...  (Read 3569 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
A video I saw because I was subscribed to New Scientist on YouTube.

It's bad enough that I've had students trying to play pieces that they learnt from the synthesia program with bad finger, and no sense of being able to read the slightest note on the page.

I think the problem may only get worse as more and more students these days have attempted to play things learnt off of youtube by complete amateurs.

Does everyone else see the potential danger in teaching this way, or am I just a neurotic crank???

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Or, for the non psychic:

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Does everyone else see the potential danger in teaching this way, or am I just a neurotic crank???

Tempting though the latter conclusion may be  :P  I agree it's foolish rubbish. At it's best, it teaches you to be a midi device, not a pianist. At it's worst, it is deceptively easy at first and becomes less and less so until it soon becomes much harder than doing it the proper way.

And who can lug that screen around with them?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
When I first started, I used synthesia for movie scores and tv shows that couldn't be found for free elsewhere.
It is stupidly difficult to use for anything more than a single note in each hand at a slow speed.
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
I met a few students who learned from youtube copying peoples fingerings and doing all sorts of tutorials. Although the majority of them are inefficient learning methods they are still helpful when the student is taught a more efficient approach. From my experience the students who took the initiative to try and learn the piano with the many methods out there have a better understanding of how good a new method is when applied since they have past experience with the other lesser methods.

All of these inefficient methods however can be a real waste of time if people study with them long term. Hopefully they realize the better methods that are out there and not stick to an unorthodox approach.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
I agree with all of that, I took an unorthodox approach to piano, but I've advanced pretty quickly.
I started with learning what a chord was from a friend and then I started playing a lot by ear, most easy Bach prides and easier Chopin nocturnes (if course I had mistakes and of course I didn't have the tempo right) but I got along pretty easily.
When I got a teacher they just assumed I knew how to read music based on my rep.
Anyway long story short, I have been reading music for about 1.5 years and playing for about 2 years and I am now working on Beethoven op.57, Chopin op.48 no.1, Bach p/f WTC 1 no.23 and I still can't find a modern piece for an audition.
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Does anyone see the potential dangers of playing Guitar Hero?  Or Garage Band?  No.  I think most people wished those games were more realistic so that they could transfer those mad skillz to real instruments.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Midi programs like this or Synthesia are usually indicative of one thing: The person can't read sheet music.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Does anyone see the potential dangers of playing Guitar Hero?  Or Garage Band?

Hey you can hate on Garage Band, but DO NOT hate on Guitar Hero!!!

I'm a freaking boss at that game1
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Does anyone see the potential dangers of playing Guitar Hero?  Or Garage Band?  No.  I think most people wished those games were more realistic so that they could transfer those mad skillz to real instruments.

And here I thought Garage Band was composing software.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Hey you can hate on Garage Band, but DO NOT hate on Guitar Hero!!!

I'm a freaking boss at that game1
But the real question is: Can you transfer those BOSS skillz to real life?  I can barely make the green-orange stretch. :P

Offline nocturnetr

• PS Silver Member
Good luck with playing Rachmaninoff on that.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Interesting.

It IS reading music, but with an alternate notation language.

It seems to me it would get tricky when the chords get stacked high, but maybe not.  After all that happens with standard notation too.

I think you would quickly get past the point of matching your finger to the bar, and just read it as notation. 
Tim

Offline kalirren

• PS Silver Member
It runs the risk of people not learning how to reach sheet music.  That said, it's pretty good elementary sightreading training, decoupling the visual interpretation of a score from the physical preparation of the playing apparatus.  You get told where to move!

And I see no reason why musicality couldn't be developed if this tool were used under the guidance of an human teacher.
Beethoven: An die Ferne Geliebte
Franck: Sonata in A Major
Vieuxtemps: Sonata in Bb Major for Viola
Prokofiev: Sonata for Flute in D Major

Offline arnost123456789

• PS Silver Member
You should try teach this from synthesia  ;)  :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert