Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Is it true you can get details of old Steinways from Steinway Hall, UK?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline seb1982

• PS Silver Member
Hi everyone!

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or under "Instruments", so I tossed a coin and ... well ... here we are  ;D

Having decided to ditch my career in law and become a piano teacher, I've just been lucky enough to buy the piano of my dreams - a Hamburg Steinway grand.  A new one was out of the question price-wise, but I found a glorious 1938 Model O which had been completely rebuilt (except for the soundboard, which was just re-finished) by Steinway Agents here in the UK.

Looking at its serial number, it was built in 1938.  I've heard tales that you can write to Steinway Hall and request details about old pianos they sold.  I was just wondering if this is true, if anyone's done it, and if anyone knows what sort of info you tend to get back?  Thanks, lovely people!

Oh, and I can't resist it - here's a pic of my new baby.  God, I've dreamed of having one of these since I was a small boy!

Offline paulduffy

Congrats on your Steinway grand. I have an 1893 Steinway upright which I think was made in Hamburg. I tried to get details of it from Steinway but they just sent a glossy brochure about what they do. With a grand you may have more luck.

I share your enthusiasm about Steinways. After years of battered ex-pub and school 'joannas', owning a Steinway, even if it is an upright, is something special. The dynamic range, in particular, is impressive.

Best wishes,
Paul

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert