Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Pogorelich's refusal of the Great Pianists series  (Read 1967 times)

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Pogorelich's refusal of the Great Pianists series
on: November 12, 2004, 10:44:00 AM
I read somewhere (i think it was you, Bernard) that Pogorelich was supposed to be one of the pianists featured in the Great Pianists of the 20th century series, but he refused.  I imagined that he had some ideological reason for objecting but i can't figure out what that would be- what would be so bad about that much exposure and recognition?
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pogorelich's refusal of the Great Pianists series
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 12:06:31 PM
  The project was ill-conceived from the beginning; many, many great pianists were left off and the engineering job was shoddy overall.

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 12:30:35 PM
I read somewhere (i think it was you, Bernard) that Pogorelich was supposed to be one of the pianists featured in the Great Pianists of the 20th century series, but he refused.  I imagined that he had some ideological reason for objecting but i can't figure out what that would be- what would be so bad about that much exposure and recognition?

No, it was not me.

I actually mentioned Pogorelich as an example of a pianist that should have been selected and was not. Then someone else (maybe it was Thracozaag) mentioned that he had actually been selected but refused. Like you, I was very surprised, and would be very interested in the reasons he gave.

I think Pogorelich is a supremely interesting pianist and I always look forward to his releases (I particularly like his Gaspard and his Scarlatti). I have heard that he has grown increasingly odd in live concerts of late, playing at excruciatingly slow tempos.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Spatula

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 06:54:36 AM
I cannot stand slow performances, and I feel so far Idil Biret pushes that, but at least she manages to keep some form of rhythm in it, despite the audience having to readjust, knowing this isn't say... Richter or the super fasties. 

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 06:12:57 AM
yeah pogo has gone off the slow end. Really slow end. not sure why either.

Offline kempff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 08:17:40 AM
I really can't understand, what some pianists are thinking when they  have for sure heard 10 million other pianists play a piece fast, and then they go and do it ultra-slow????? :P
Kempff+Brendel= GOD

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 10:52:08 AM
from what i gather - 'pogo' is a somewhat perplexing and unusual character.

both personally and musically it seems!

however, i do admire experimentation, even tasteless experimentation - ala lang lang

its when i keep hearing the same things done with the same pieces that i begin getting bored

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 10:18:50 PM
Well, regardless of how slow he played, he still recieved much applause for his performance.

"Maybe if I play twice as slow, they would still applaud?"

I bet people would.

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 10:36:45 PM
obviously, they are classical fans after all - the polite type  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert