Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Yeah, I just don't give up...  (Read 17273 times)

Offline musikalischer_wirbelwind_280

• PS Silver Member
Yeah, I just don't give up...
on: November 20, 2013, 05:27:30 AM
Hullo,

I know it's rather unlikely such a thing exists (or at least that it exists and is more or less easily available on the Internet), but I wonder if there's a piano two-hand arrangement of Schubert's 'The Trout' quintet? Or maybe of the last movement at the very least?
I used to think there was no such arr. of his Piano Trio's (D.898) 'Andante un poco mosso' mov. and there is actually, even though no one seems to have it... ::)

Cheers,
M.W.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yeah, I just don't give up...
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:36:14 AM
There's a recording of such an arrangement by Joseph Czerny by these guys.

As for Joseph's merits.... he wrote one of the variations for the Diabilli exercise (No  5) and was a teacher of Beethoven's nephew Karl.

The one review of his work cited on his wikepedia page isn't encouraging, though:

His variations, seven in number, have nothing new in them; they pursue the same track that has been beaten for many years past, and have, under various names, nauseated the ear during a long quarter of a century at least.

No idea if the sheet music is available - IMSLP is down for maintenance.  >:(

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:55:23 AM
Hey, mate, nice to read you again! I appreciate the info you shared there, however, I'm afraid I might not have made myself clear enough: what I'm looking for is a piano solo/ two-hands arrangement of the whole thing, or at least of the last movement 'Allegro giusto' ;) not a piano-duet since I've got no one else to play with.

I'm almost entirely sure the folks at IMSLP haven't got such a thing because I recall having checked there before and, if I remember well, they've only got a 4-hands piano arr.  >:(

Offline jimfaston

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:48 AM
There is an arrangement by Ludwig Stark:

Franz Schubert's Oktett und Quintette für Pianoforte solo, C.F. Peters No.5661, 1874.

Probably long out of print--perhaps an interlibrary loan would work for you.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:08:30 PM
what I'm looking for is a piano solo/ two-hands arrangement of the whole thing, or at least of the last movement 'Allegro giusto' ;) not a piano-duet since I've got no one else to play with.

Haha, sorry. Sometimes I have trouble counting to 2.

There is an arrangement by Ludwig Stark:

Indeed there is. It's out of copyright (as well as print) so is attached.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 10:23:03 PM
Feeling rather silly now. I had that pdf but my lack of German meant that I did not recognise it as the Trout.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:19 PM
Feeling rather silly now. I had that pdf but my lack of German meant that I did not recognise it as the Trout.

Thal

The notes are in German?!?  :o

;D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 04:18:25 AM
Thx for the info jim! Heh,heh, no worries, j_menz, ole mate, sometimes four can be just as good as two, even if it's still just four and not two ^^
Cheers so much for sharing, by the way!  ;)

And Thal, chap, that's just fine, too; same happened to me once with a certain score in Russian...good thing I'm studying it now, managed to find Khachaturian's Adagio from his 'Gayane' ballet thanks to that  ;D
By the way, you wouldn't happen to have the slow movement from the Piano Trio I mentioned in my OP (D.898)? Be it in German, Czech or Sanskrit even, I'd so appreciate it if you had it and were ok with sharing!

Cheers,
M.W.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert