Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Grieg's Arietta fingering  (Read 11340 times)

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Grieg's Arietta fingering
on: November 14, 2004, 06:26:17 AM
I am sure I have asked this before but I can't find it on the forum or my notes so...

Take the first two bars as example for the rest of the piece.

Would you just play the top note with the right hand and all the other notes with the left or would you play as written playing the base clef notes with the left and the rest with the right.

I keep going back from one to the other and I really can't tell which is better.

Thks in advance
Ron Lefebvre

Ron Lefebvre © Copyright. Any reproduction of all or part of this post is sheer stupidity.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Grieg's Arietta fingering
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 11:57:28 AM
Beautiful piece, one of my favourites!

The answer to your question is… neither! You actually share the broken chords between both hands.

There are three distinct parts (voices) on this piece: The top melody, the bass and the middle broken chord accompaniment. The melody is played with the 4-5 of the right hand, the bass is played with 4-5 of the LH, and the broken chords are played by both RH and LH using fingers 1-2-3.

Consider the first bar:

Top voice (RH): G(5)- G(5) – G(5)- G(5)
Middle voice: LH - Bb(2) Eb (1) then RH - G(1)-Bb(2) then LH - Bb(2) Eb (1) then RH - G(1)-Bb(2)
Bass (LH) Eb (5)

I suggest you learn this piece by first completely ignoring the middle broken chord voice and simply play the melody and the bass (using the final fingering you will eventually be using). Then learn just the broken chord accompaniment (again using the final fingering). Once both these parts are ingrained, join them.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert